Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Get Earnings and Seasonal Trends - Subscribe Today!

Advanced

Tradestation HRFP scanner

Posted by traderva 
Tradestation HRFP scanner
August 19, 2014 08:57PM
Has anyone had any luck w/ setting up TS to scan for crossovers/HRFP's? Thanks
Re: Tradestation HRFP scanner
August 20, 2014 01:12PM
Yes, and it’s not that difficult. There is enough code in the TS community to put an HRFP scanner together. It may not be pieced together into one code but there is definitely crossover screens and alerts for each indicator. All you need to do is add all four together and insert a count. You can also look at Robert’s original code for TOS on how he handled the count (page 1 of Fun with Thinkscript). I was able to do that within the first few days of learning EL while trying to learn to navigate TradeStation. All of that said I am not trying to be elusive. I think you will gain a lot more by building yourself. The TS engineers are a great resource as well. I will keep an eye on the thread. If no one can help you I will be happy to find my original code and see if it will suffice. What I use for myself goes far beyond HRFP and DE to the point of incorporating everything taught today. I also have a lot of personal research factored in. Since I cannot verify anyone’s level of GW education and feel that teaching a man to fish is a better solution I am reluctant to post the code. It also irritated me when I saw GW’s settings plastered all over the TS community. There are posts dating back to mid-2000s for people looking for HRFP scanner with GW settings freely provided. I think folks should take pride in the fact that they took time out of their busy schedules to attend the classes. I am glad the folks in this forum have chosen to provide basic code w/out the settings. Just my personal opinion. Now that I am over my rant there is one thing to ask yourself. Are you looking for a scanner, something to be used in RadarScreen, or an indication on a chart (i.e., vertical line denoting HRFP). All of these are doable.

NCT
August 20, 2014 02:02PM
Thanks for the info; I'll check out the TS community as well. I am pretty clueless when it comes to TS coding so this could be an eventful experience. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I did take GW classes although it was some yrs ago and I got away from it for awhile. As far as to what I am looking for I would be happy w/ either a Radarscreen indicator or a chart indicator although I'm not really sure what is possible. This may be a dumb question NCT but do you really pretty heavily on the indicators you have built for yourself? I know you said you have far beyond the basics. Thanks again.
August 20, 2014 03:39PM
No, I really do not really rely on any scanner or indicator. I get much more out of it by manually "being in the charts". I created a few tools for those times when my schedule is so hectic and have very limited time. The goal was to point me in the right direction and save time. Unfortunately nothing is perfect. A HRFP scanner will give you signals when indicators barely cross to the point you cannot see with the naked eye. Those situations are not trades. You have to know what your trade is supposed to look like. If you have a tool that tells you those conditions are met you then go look for yourself and decide while ignoring what the tool is telling you. Otherwise you can talk yourself into something that really does not exist if you were being objective. I can't emphasize enough it is about knowing your trade, having the set up defined, allowing a tool to filter through the noise, but ultimately deciding for yourself. Below is a couple of examples of what is possible with respect to RadarScreen (will not work on the standard quote sheet).

Look at the column circled in blue. This is somewhat different than HRFP but basically the same. The numbers tell you how many have crossed over the past two days. Once three are met the cells turn red or green.

Another example as to what is possible. If you like Darcy's thought process about crossing on multiple charts at the same time then you do have options. There are some limitations but throwing out there what is possible. A lot of these tips and tricks are in the online video tutorials.

As an aside I am not going to comment on the "SOS" indicator. For those that swear by the W.I.N. indicator located in the app store my SOS is similar to the "Bingo" black box. It wasn't hard to figure out what he was dong with Bingo as I had a similar indicator I created years ago. Also, anyone that has taken all of GW's former courses should be able to figure Bingo as well. I am not looking to compete - just showing what is possible. The W.I.N. indicator is another alternative for anyone looking for a solution that offers developer support. If you have not figured out how to sort through 150 stocks each night then give W.I.N. a try. Unfortunately there is a cost involved. My personal thought is that any GW student that is patient and wants to learn how to code in TS will not have to rely on W.I.N.

NCT
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login