Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Get Earnings and Seasonal Trends - Subscribe Today!

Advanced

Tradestation setup question

Posted by traderva 
Tradestation setup question
July 23, 2014 08:52PM
I recently had my computer crash and unbelievably my backup hard drive was corrupted as well. Obviously from now on I will backup offsite but in the meantime I am dealing w/ the aftermath. I had a TS workspace on another computer but it is not quite right. I have almost all my settings back like they were but am having some problems getting the Stoch RSI to match. Can someone help me w/ those settings? Thanks
Dan
Re: Tradestation setup question
July 24, 2014 08:32AM
Try this ELD file - [www.dropbox.com]. After working with the QCharts StochRSI, I got the best results by modifying the TS Stochastic function to allow SMA smoothing and then changing the default StochRSI I found on the TS forums to reference the modified Stochastic function. I no longer have QCharts, but it tracked the QCharts StochRSI almost exactly when I created these modifications.

One other thing you may want to try. Most higher end motherboards have software RAID chips on them, usually of the Intel variety if you are using an Intel CPU. For the cost of two, identical hard drives you can set up RAID 1 which creates a mirror drive. If one drive fails, you can then just plug in a new drive, reboot, and let the RAID software rebuild the array in the background. This has saved me from two hard drive failures over the past six years. Just do some research on it, and be sure to get the enterprise quality hard drives that support RAID. I believe the last time I bought "bare" drives, I paid around $160 for each 1 TB drive. It also helps if you can get ones with 5 yr. warranties. I did, and got my drives replaced under warranty. Only issue here is that you have to return the failed drive, and in one case I could not read it in another computer of mine, so I could not use a software erase program on it before shipping it back. After a week of back and forth with Western Digital, they finally let me drill holes through the case and drive platters so they would be unreadable.
July 24, 2014 11:31AM
Thank you very much; this file seems to work perfectly.
July 24, 2014 11:32AM
Also thanks for the advice on the backup hard drive.
July 24, 2014 08:19PM
Sorry I was late in responding. Glad Dan was able to help you out. There are two or three threads in this forum containing the code for TS StochRSI. All were very close to QC visually but did not completely match QC with respect to the actual values (i.e, 62.13 might show as 62.04). Again they visually looked the same and provided the same signals but it would be enough to frustrate the engineer types. All I cared about was whether or not the signals matched. I have learned that indicators can also be skewed a bit based on the way each provider aggregates data from the exchanges.

Below is something I picked up from the TS Community that seems to match QC pretty well. If you search around you will find a lot of GW indicators and settings thrown around. I chose to remove the settings prior to distribution. A quick comparison suggests the below matches Dan's ELD rather nicely. Obviously someone will need to input the parameters. Just another way to achieve the same result.

inputs: 
	RSILength( 0 ), 
	StoLength( 0 ), 
 	PctKSmooth( 0 ), 
	PctDSmooth( 0 ), 
	OverBought( 80),
	OverSold( 20 ),
	MidLine( 50 );

variables: 
	MyRSI(0), 
	MyPctK(0); 

{ Calculate RSI }	
MyRSI = RSI( Close, RSILength ); 
MyPctK = 100 * (MyRSI - Lowest( MyRSI, StoLength))/(Highest( MyRSI,StoLength) - Lowest( MyRSI, StoLength)); 

{Plot Lines }
plot1( Average(MyPctK,PctKSmooth), "%K"winking smiley; 
Plot2( Average(Plot1,PctDSmooth), "%D"winking smiley; 
Plot3( OverSold , "OverSold"winking smiley; 
Plot4( OverBought , "Overbought"winking smiley;
Plot5( MidLine, "MidLIne"winking smiley;

NCT
July 24, 2014 08:20PM
LOL.. I forgot the forum converts the last parenthesis to a smiley face even though you use "insert code". Oh well..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login