Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Get Earnings and Seasonal Trends - Subscribe Today!

Advanced

Gary Williams

Posted by dmkratzer 
Re: Gary Williams
January 08, 2013 05:24PM
If you are interested in taking classes from Gary Williams, he has a new format. All you need to do is send an email to the following email and you will be notified of the new classes.

wsbrandic@gmail.com

The new classes are great even better than previous classes. There are classes scheduled during 2013.
January 08, 2013 06:35PM
I was there this weekend. I am soooo excited. It just seems so much simpler than the old method.

Donna
January 09, 2013 07:17AM
Gary shut down the Achievers Choice Quest Website. As of now, he only offers the "stock Market Survival Weekend" series of classes. There are three of them. I took the first in November and recommend it. It only covers basic position trading of options using earnings and splits as catalysts. I assume the second and third classes will cover some of the other types of plays he used to teach, but he did not get into details. There wasn't much of an opportunity for Q and A as there were 2-300 people there. But he did specifically state that the online classes are done.
January 09, 2013 07:22AM
He also said that RTP classes will be held in 2014.
January 09, 2013 10:44AM
Did he mention whether newsletters would be offered?
January 09, 2013 01:31PM
Yes, he said there is a Survival Weekend #1 Newsletter available (twice a month I think), if you have attended the Survival Weekend. It is somewhere around $300 per year. There is also an RTP newsletter available if you have taken the RTP classes.
January 09, 2013 05:57PM
dmkratzer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was there this weekend. I am soooo excited. It
> just seems so much simpler than the old method.
>
> Donna

Interesting to hear. So is all the old stuff now obsolete?
January 09, 2013 08:38PM
No, not obsolete. A lot of the same principles, but he approached it differently ... streamlined ... simplier ... more indicators ... no short charts ... etc.

He took some things from the advanced classes (RTP, DE) and incorporated them into the weekend classes. If you took the advanced classes, it might not be anything new for you.

I would highly recommend it. He is constantly evolving, improving his techniques, and adapting to the economic climate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2013 08:46PM by dmkratzer.
January 12, 2013 04:24PM
I took Survival 1 last weekend in Rocky Mount. I think the Saturday afternoon is worth its weight in gold. Has anyone got the Survivor 1 newsletter yet? I wish he would send out a free sample to see what it looks like.

Shaun
Dan
March 28, 2013 11:05AM
I am a 1-5, RTP and DE student who just found this forum. I am interested in the Survival Weekend comments about "simpler", "more indicators", and a different approach that is "worth its weight in gold." I attended a one day seminar Gary gave back in 2008 at the Raleigh location and did not find it all that helpful; i.e., I did not pick up anything new except to buy physical gold.

Gary has changed his indicators over time; compare the 2003 manuals to the 2005 manuals as an example, and his RTP approach is definitely different than the 1-5 approach. I guess what I am wondering, without asking anyone to divulge proprietary information, is what new things and indicators are in the Survival Weekends that were not in the 1-5, RTP and DE classes? If he is offering RTP classes in 2014, I wonder what they will contain and how different, if it all, they will be from the previous RTP classes? Also, is he now doing classes at the Rocky Mount location since the Raleigh location has closed?

On another note, has anyone else besides me left QCharts behind? They kept raising the rates for little added value since nothing was being done with the software. I took a look at the cost of eSignal and to get the data history and capabilites of QCharts would push my cost well over $300/month. I now use Think or Swim's think desktop and also opened an account with TradeStation to get all the historical intraday charts. I only pay for the data feeds and they are quite a bit cheaper than QCharts data feed prices. So far this is working out quite well, although it did take me a week or two to learn enough about TradeStation EasyLanguage so I could exactly replicate the QCharts indicators with my own custom StochRSI indicator and set up all my work spaces. You can set them up quite easily in Think or Swim, but you do not get very much historical data using Gary's custom chart intervals for intraday charts.

Anyway, I am glad I found this group so I can keep abreast of what's going on with Gary and his educational offerings.

-Dan
March 28, 2013 02:15PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2013 08:09PM by Stacees.
TCB
March 28, 2013 04:18PM
Strategy Desk (SD) that it offered from TDameritrade is very comparable to Qcharts allowing intraday history. I use SD and TOS (Think or Swim platform) in combination with each other and they are both free. TOS has the futures available along with great option chains that are chartable. Give them a try and I think you will like them. I am curious and would like to know what he has changed also as I have taken the class 1-5 and advanced class back in 2004. - Tony
March 29, 2013 04:07PM
"I guess what I am wondering, without asking anyone to divulge proprietary information, is what new things and indicators are in the Survival Weekends that were not in the 1-5, RTP and DE classes?"

I think to answer this would be, by definition, violating the non-disclosure agreement we signed.
Dan
March 29, 2013 08:04PM
I wasn't sure if non-disclosure forms were being used, but I certainly honor the ones I signed for earlier classes and understand the need to keep confidential information confidential. Let me rephrase my question like this - Is there anything novel and new that is being taught in the Survival Weekends, or is it a distillation and updating of previous materials? From other comments on this thread, I am getting the impression that the Survival Weekends are a more carefully honed and streamlined version of what Gary has previously taught in 1-5, RTP and DE, Since I get the "retake" rate, I may just have to get myself to Rocky Mount and check it out in person. The thing I like best about Gary is that he usually very specific about what to do and how to do it. Much more so than other so called trading gurus I have heard. In some cases I did not think Gary was being specific enough, but after enough repeated listening to the CDs the specifics were there.
April 13, 2013 08:58PM
Gary Williams is great.

Yes, Qcharts is expensive; therefore, I'm using OptionsXpress with the exact same possible layouts for free. Click on blue toolbar Quotes, then Streaming Charts. You need the latest Java. Then once a chart is up, click the Detach arrow by the question mark at the upper right corner. Click Clone by the Sell tab. Set up your layouts and desktops. They have custom times: 233. There is a way to set up the custom times per settings/desktop and save them.

All indicators from his manual are there and reveal the same cross signals. I use Full Stochastics with a near exact trigger. I have requested to them to implement StochRSI. MY HOPE: To get enough people to request and have them add StochRSI with 4 parameters to enter as an indicator.

I use their Indices Daily & 55 Futures Charts, but their policy is you need to enroll (simple process) in Futures and Margin with OptionsXpress; of course I don't trade Futures or use Margin, but I did sign up.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2013 12:57PM by wsbstudent.
April 25, 2013 11:51PM
Dan,

I am also a 1-5, RTP, and DE student.

I have taken the first couple of survivor classes and can answer your question. There is nothing "Novel and New" being taught. However, due to the fact that Gary is awesome, you will be able to pick up on enough nuggets to make your trip to NC more than worth it.

Your exposure to RTP and DE has placed you miles ahead of what is being taught in these survivor classes. These are wonderful classes for students who are just starting out. For you it would be a ton of review mixed with a few nuggets. In RTP and DE he gives you all the puzzle pieces and if you do "THE WORK" you can put these pieces into place. In Survivor I he gives out a lot of the same pieces of information but certainly not all.

If you qualify for the retake rate I would certainly advise you to go. It will be worth it.

One word of advice. Gary is getting even better at presenting the information. Keep in mind that you have a deeper education than everyone else because of your exposure to RTP and DE. I have not worked in a while and I now trade for a living. After taking these survivor classes I temporaily forgot about all of the advanced information that I already new and began trading in accordance with the Survivor classes. The name says it all, these are Survivor classes, they are designed to help you "survive". You already know how to "Thrive", so just be careful not to forget what you already know.

P.S. I too left Qcharts and have been using Tradestation for about 2 years now......................... it is awesome and yes creating the StochRSI and Outlined Candles sucked.
Dan
April 26, 2013 09:04AM
Hiottt,

Thanks for the information. It was very helpful. I think for now I will pass on the Survival Weekends, but I will be very interested to see what is up with a possible RTP class next year. Working through TradeStation is making me reevaluate my trading and simplify my trading style. I day traded ES futures for a while and ended up with a net $1,500 loss over the course of a year. I am now back to bigger charts and fewer trades, and I pay a lot of attention to the W and D trends in the overall market and the sector of the stock I am getting ready to trade. I look to buy calls in the strongest stocks in the strongest sectors during an uptrend and to buy puts in the weakest stocks in the weakest sectors during a downtrend.

I am still stunned by the fact that I can find nothing on the web about "The Printing Press" technique. There are lots of covered call web sites and many of them mention writing ITM calls, but Gary seems to be the only one who covers it from his perspective. I love the fact that you are locking in your profit and immediately getting your money. The only difficult part about it is the taxation issues caused by writing ITM calls.

I am still having difficulties when the market is not trending and have been looking at doing credit spreads to capture premium when volatility starts to drop. I just do not feel comfortable trading "naked" as Gary taught in his Advanced class. I know Gary would shoot me for saying this, but analysis of the Greeks and price movement probabilities in Think or Swim has been helpful in practicing such trades. I am still learning Option Station Pro on TradeStation, but it looks like it can do most of the things that Think or Swim does.
April 30, 2013 03:11PM
> I am still stunned by the fact that I can find
> nothing on the web about "The Printing Press"
> technique. There are lots of covered call web
> sites and many of them mention writing ITM calls,
> but Gary seems to be the only one who covers it
> from his perspective. I love the fact that you
> are locking in your profit and immediately getting
> your money. The only difficult part about it is
> the taxation issues caused by writing ITM calls.

Dan, could you share more on the tax implications of writing ITM call options?

I would like to continue doing W&O trades in this trading zone, but I'm don't have confidence that a trade could trend in the right direction for long enough to get a good trade in. I have considered selling a deep ITM option for a stock that I've owned for a few days after a rise in order to capture that premium. I'm not sure how else to do it during Spring and Summer. If you have some pointers I would very much appreciate them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2013 03:57PM by Kars.
Dan
April 30, 2013 07:29PM
Kars,

The taxation of trading is quite complex and even the IRS does not always have hard and fast rules about they handle things. Based on a reading of the IRS tax publications alone (there are myriad other sources such as letter rulings, tax court cases, regulations, etc), selling "deep" ITM calls has the effect of changing the holding period for the stock you are writing calls against. It's been a while since I reviewed the material, but as I remember, when you write a deep ITM call, it stops the clock from running on the time you have owned the underlying stock. I believe the logic behind this is that the IRS feels a deep ITM call is a risk free transaction, therefore, you are incurring no risks associated with owning stock while it is outstanding, therefore you cannot count the days you have a deep ITM call towards the holding period for your stock. The net effect would be that if you constantly write deep ITM calls against a stock within a short time of originally purchasing it, you would never be able to claim long term capital gain/loss against the sale of that stock. BTW, I believe the IRS classifies deep ITM calls as calls that are more than 1-2 strikes below the stock price. The specific rules are again rather complex.

Additionally there are complicated rules about what constitutes qualified vs. non-qualified options, and you also can trigger rules relating to straddles by selling covered calls. The best advice I can offer is to use the web and IRS resources to further research this topic and also engage a very good CPA firm that specializes in taxation of traders. Even if you do all of this, you can still have the IRS questioning your judgment, especially if you end up working with an agent who is not highly experienced in taxation of traders. Remember, no matter who prepares your return, you are the one signing it and you are ultimately responsible for it.
May 23, 2013 12:18PM
I am a WSB, Advanced, RTP student and would like to attend one of Gary's stock Market Survival Weekend. Anyone know how to find out what his schedule is and how to attend?
May 23, 2013 12:52PM
From Gary just the other day.

5/16/13

Hello everyone!

I don't know if I had reminded you all or not so I decided to let you know just in case I didn't. The Survival I Weekend class is coming up on May 31st - June 2nd if any of you are interested in retaking or know someone who would be interested in taking the class. Also, the Survival II class will be in July on the 12th - 14th. If you are interested in taking either or both of these classes please email Brandi at wsbrandic@gmail.com.

Also, if any of you have not taken the TFT course and would be interested in potentially getting started with that contact me via wsbrandic@gmail.com with the subject line TFT.

As always...

Prepare for the worst, expect the best, work your butt off, and trust in God's guidance!

Trade Well! Practice More! Invest Well! Achieve Choice!

Gary
May 23, 2013 03:56PM
How would I go about signing up for one of these seminars?
October 27, 2014 03:53PM
Hi,
Is there a current thread on Gary Williams? I have taken Survival Weekend I and II and wouuld love to see how people are doing.
October 27, 2014 03:58PM
I have also taken WSB 1-5. Currently using Q Charts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login