Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Get Earnings and Seasonal Trends - Subscribe Today!

Advanced

200 MA on TradeStation charts

Posted by 52trade 
200 MA on TradeStation charts
March 04, 2014 11:01PM
Hello TradeStation users,

I've been trying to put the 200 ma on the 55 min chart, 233 chart, 34 min chart. For some reason I can't make it work, has anyone else had this issue and if so how did you resolve it. Thanks in advance for any help with this.

God Bless,
52trade
Dan
Re: 200 MA on TradeStation charts
March 04, 2014 11:18PM
This issue may be due to the amount of data that is downloaded by default for intraday charts in TradeStation. You need a lot of bars back to calculate a 200 MA (at least 200). When I set up a 55 minute chart interval, TradeStation defaults to loading only 15 days of data. At 6 bars per trading day, that is only 90 bars, which is not enough to draw the 200 MA. Go to "format symbol" on the menu bar and in the area labeled "Range" set it to 1 year back. This will take a little time, but once the data is downloaded, it will update with just the newer data when you reference the symbol again. It's different from the way QCharts loads data, but if you have a set group of symbols you check frequently, once the data is loaded, the charts will come up almost instantly. Also, once you have loaded the data for any intraday interval, all the other intervals will also be covered since I was told that intraday data is downloaded in 1 minute bars and then any other intervals are assembled from the 1 minute bar data on your PC.

As a test of this, once you get a year of data loaded, hit the "home" key to go to the beginning of the data. You will see data that does not look right and has no 200 MA. Start scrolling forward in time and when you have scrolled at least 200 bars you will then see the 200 MA appear on the right side of the screen. Eventually when you scroll far enough, the 200 MA will run across the entire chart window.
March 04, 2014 11:34PM
Thanks for your help with this Dan, I will definitely try this out!

God Bless,
52trade
March 05, 2014 10:30PM
Dan,

Just want to say thank you again for your willingness to help, that worked perfect!! Much appreciated!!!!!!!!!

God Bless
52trade
March 06, 2014 07:32PM
52 trade:

If you're working on making red/white candles go to the Tradestation website forum and search it. You can view my GW-like workspace on this site; search "Question for Qcharts user" and scroll until you see the photo. Or hear is the easy language (hopefully no smiley faces replaced the parenthesis)

--Chunk

inputs: UPcolor(white), DNcolor(red), WICKcolor(black), WICKwidth(1), BODYwidth(3) ;

variables:
color(0),
BodySize(iff(bodywidth=2, 1, iff(bodywidth>4, 4, bodywidth) )),
Outline(iff(bodysize=0, 2, iff(bodysize=1, 3, iff(bodysize=3, 4, 5))) ),
colorU(UPcolor),
colorD(DNcolor),
colorW(WICKcolor) ;

{ Outlined Candles by Solidus

pixel sizes of plot widths
0 - 1px
1 - 2
2 - 3
3 - 4
4 - 6
5 - 8
6 - 14
}

{ ------------------------- Revision 1 Aug 15 07 ------------------------------
- Simplified coloring code for efficiency.
- Removed Once command to permit use with pre-8.2 Tradestation.
- Added efficiency fix so RGB color values as inputs need only calculate once on startup.
}

if c>o then color=colorU else color=colorD;

plot1(c,"c outline a",colorW,0,outline);
plot2(c,"c outline b"winking smiley;
plot3(o,"o outline a",colorW,0,outline);
plot4(o,"o outline b"winking smiley;

Plot5(c,"C",color,0,bodysize);
Plot6(o,"O"winking smiley;
March 06, 2014 08:51PM
Chunk,

Thank You! That is awesome! I will take a look...

God Bless,
52trade
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login