Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Get Earnings and Seasonal Trends - Subscribe Today!

Advanced

Tradestation Switch

Posted by BigMoney 
Tradestation Switch
April 26, 2013 03:28PM
For people that would like to get rid of the Q. Tradestation will be your best switch. For anyone that would like to switch call Brooks Killmeyer 954-652-7427. Let him know that you are with this Forum.
Re: Tradestation Switch
April 26, 2013 05:08PM
Big Money

Are you a Gary student or do you work for Tradestation. Just want clarification.
April 26, 2013 07:07PM
Im a student. I went to Tradestation when they told me that I could get unlimted data which for Qcharts is 200.00 plus a month for free. The headaches are gone. No more symbol duplicates, freezing of the charts the list could go on if I wanted to. Tradestation by far is the best thing. Qcharts is waste of money IMO. Name one good thing about Qcharts..................................
Seems to me more people having problems trading when using Qcharts. Just a guess.
On Tradestation I can click on my Daily chart and all my charts no matter the time frame go back to that exact date I just clicked on. That worth 200 bucks there. They Plot Earnings for you. I no longer need my head in a monitor for hours thinking that what Im doing could be right or wrong. Have you ever seen the charts?
April 28, 2013 07:30AM
Hi all

I'm an online student from the UK, who found this forum coincidentally by looking for QCharts alternatives. So first off hello to those contributing here and thanks for sharing your experiences - it's been really exciting reading through the forum posts, esp if like me you are in contact with very few other students.

I opened a tradestation account last week but haven't yet funded it - tell me BigMoney - is it worth speaking to Brooks Kilmer at this stage and mentioning this forum, are there any advantages to doing so? You mentioned that the tradestation is free - does that mean you got them to waive the monthly admin fee?

And to anyone - any recommendations on setting up the charts to match QCharts - I note the post regarding stochRSI are there any other hints and tips out there?
April 29, 2013 10:18AM
All,

Sorry for the double-post. I just posted this under another topic, but this one is probably more relavent.

For anyone concerned about switching to TradeStation, I switched from QCharts to TradeStation about 3 weeks ago. I was searching for a replacement because I was tired of the continual price increases by QCharts with no improvements to their software. Before I cutoff QCharts, I worked for a few hours to get all of Gary's indicators from QCharts to match in TradeStation, and I found that I was able to get everything indentical (switching back and forth between the 2, between several symbols to verify). I am extremely happy with TS as it has all the functionality of QCharts and a whole lot more. I have scans setup to automatically search for HRFP on multiple timeframes, candlestick patterns, etc. You can set your charts to any timeframe interval you desire, just like QCharts. All the charts load extremely fast. QCharts over time (for me) became extremely slow. It would lock up for sometimes 30-40 seconds each time I clicked a new symbol. That never happens with TS. I do have 8GB of RAM, and I would say the only downside to TS is that is it more of a memory hog than QCharts, but RAM is cheap, so not a concern for me.

The promo I got in on was free platform for the life of the account. The rep I signed up with said if I sent others to him, he could offer the same promo (nothing in it for me). I pay $8.00 a month for market data (without futures - I think that's another $25 or $30 month). This is way less than the $180ish I was paying for QCharts. Even if you don't get the promo, they waive the platform fees ($99 + $59 for RadarScreen, which is your basket list) if you trade 50 or more contracts a months, which should be easily doable. If you trade 10 contracts, that 10 for the buy and 10 for the sell, so with 1 trade you are almost halfway there. Min account opening is $5000 and you have to maintain $2500 balance to keep any promos they give you.

So if you're looking for a possible QCharts replacement, I would highly recommend TradeStation. I evaluated a number of other platforms before switching (TC2000, OptionsXpress XTend, Ninja Trader) and in my option, TS was the best. If you search the TS forum as I did, you will be able to find help getting indicators setup (like StochRSI) to match Gary's, and we don't have to worry about violating our agreement if you do a little work on your own with the materials you have from class.

beachbumfl
April 30, 2013 08:24PM
Beachbum who set you up at trade station?
May 02, 2013 07:41AM
I just opened my account with Kevin Myslinski, and got free platform and radar screen for life, I mentioned this forum and Brooks Killmeyer
May 02, 2013 01:26PM
beachbum -

from what I'm reading on your post, you are paying $8/month TOTAL for the Tradestation charting service & real-time data feed? And would be everything needed short of Futures (if I wanted them)?
May 02, 2013 02:10PM
I was setup by Jeffrey Corvin - 954-652-7417.

I also got the free platform and radar screen for life deal. Those fees come out to about $160 a month, but if you trade 50 contracts a month, they waive that fee. That's 50 contracts round trip, so if you made 1 trade of 25 contracts, there's your 50 contracts on the buy and sell. If you're trading stocks too, they count that towards waiving the fee as well. So if you don't get the free platform deal and you are trading consistently, you will likely get those fees waived anyway. As for my data package, here is what I subscribe to (this gets me what I had with QCharts):
S&P Indices - $2.00
OPRA - $3.00
NYSE Real Time data - $1.00
NASDAQ Real Time data Package #1 - $1.00
AMEX Real Time data - $1.00
Total = $8.00

You are supposed to be able to get free delayed futures, but I haven't found the correct symbols yet, so I continue to use these:
[www.investing.com]
[www.investing.com]
May 02, 2013 04:57PM
@NQ

@ES

These are future symbols

$indu
$compx
May 03, 2013 01:29PM
I spoke to Jeffrey Corvin at TradeStation today. He asked me to clarify something regarding the promotion. If you have already contacted TradeStation and have spoken to another rep, he will have to refer you back to them. Each rep has a limited number of promotions that they are allowed to offer, and he can only help you if you are brand new to TradeStation. So the other reps that have been mentioned in previous posts may not be able to offer the "free platform for life" deal if they have already given theirs away, but Jeffrey does still have the ability to offer several more of these promos, so if you have not previously contacted anyone at TradeStation and want to take advantage, act quickly - first come, first served. His number is 954-652-7417.
May 04, 2013 07:28PM
Congrats on the switch to Trade station I know that you will like the platform . You all might want to try the "WIN" indicator on strategy Network. This is a real good indicator that I use on all of my trades. It has a free 4 day trail. Try it out I think that you all will be very impressed.
May 06, 2013 09:35AM
Is it worth the $167/month fee?
May 06, 2013 11:03AM
It is worth every penny. Joe
May 07, 2013 08:46PM
Amen to TraderJoe - switch to Tradestation and check out the WIN product. Great platform and great tool to use to find the stocks that have met the indicator criteria you want before considering a trade. What a great timesaving tool. As a GW student and having spent countless hours every night looking at charts on all of my stocks, the WIN scan allows me to quickly just check out the stocks that have actually done what I need them to do before I would even think about getting into a trade. And great support from the developer too! Check it out.
May 08, 2013 10:46AM
I assume you mean WIN searches for HRFP and/or FP on various time intervals. If this is the case, I have already created my own scanners for this, so am I missing something else that WIN does? Not sure why I would pay $167/month for that, unless it takes it a step further, like alerts on action charts or something better.
TCB
May 08, 2013 11:57AM
Well said Darcy, we are all on here to share, learn and help one another by posting and asking questions.
May 08, 2013 02:45PM
Im third party to this conversation and would normally send such advice in a private message however I think we should all remember that being positive toward people on this forum will keep those that are already here and hopefully help some folks out. Im sure the WIN strategy is great. I dont know that I can see the difference in paying $200 for Qcharts or $170 for that particular strategy but if it makes you money then thats great.

@Darcy2

Please continue to make your posts as "sucess breeds success" and although I may trade a little different, I still like to be in conversation with other successful traders.
May 08, 2013 03:24PM
Darcy, I'm a recent forum reader and 1st time poster. Have thoroughly enjoyed your posts over the past few weeks. I have done WSB 1-5 and Advanced class. I have learned much from studying your posts. Please continue posting.
May 08, 2013 04:17PM
Darcy, I have also learned a lot from your postings. As Gary says to gain wealth you should always be looking above you on the ladder and not below. There is always something new to learn from others if by reading books or by reading this forum. I am always looking for ways to gain knowledge whether it be in trading or in other aspects of life. My husband has been a pilot in the AF for the last 13 years and he still reads his pubs every night because there is always something new ALWAYS!! That's just the way it is! If you can show me another way to look at things or another reason I can be confident in my trade (ADX line) than I am very appreciative. I also agree with BCT when he says it is nice to be in conversation with other traders as I don't know anyone around me who does this. Thanks again
May 08, 2013 04:54PM
As I said in an earlier post - I did only find this forum while searching for QChart alternatives so thank heavens for that, and I have just switched to Tradestation so it was a useful thread for me. I think I've got the message about how great WIN is now though.

I don't expect tradestation to make me a better trader though, which is something I hope to experience from the posts of Darcy and others. I was reminded to read ALL the books on the GW booklist for instance and finished 'market makers edge' earlier this week, and it was well worth it.

I'm also willing to look closely at the charts Darcy uses, and I now have them set up on my workspace. I know I sucked at intraday trading before I came to this forum, and there are obviously people here who do it well, so why not learn from them?
May 08, 2013 06:44PM
Are you guys that are getting free platform and radar screen for life having to trade the 50 contracts per month, or is it truly 'free" platform and radar screen for life? I am still tip toeing into this process and don't buy many contracts. I am still trying to perfect my entry and exit and do so with 2-5 contracts.
May 08, 2013 08:49PM
Personal attacks will not be tolerated. -- RTT
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.