Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Get Earnings and Seasonal Trends - Subscribe Today!

Advanced

Trading exclusively from a laptop-thoughts?

Posted by rookie30 
Trading exclusively from a laptop-thoughts?
April 22, 2013 09:01AM
Went into my office at my 9-5, I crank up my computer and guess what? They have place a new filtration system on our server, so now I cannot access TOS. TOS is really, really big because I can see the futures at a glance, as well as, see the live movement taking place on all my expert stock. Is anyone trading from a laptop only? If so, how does that work for you? I need to see a news feed or access CNBC through TOS, need the Futures, and charts. I am limited to only one computer- my old laptop that I have Strategy Desk downloaded.

If you use a Laptop, what kind do you recommend?
What size operating system do you recommend?
What should I shoot for regarding screen size?
Does a laptop have the full capability to run charts, TOS, and News Feed simultaneously?

Traded-NFLX today

I just took very, very quick profits on NFLX. I picked- up over $3 bucks. This was a rare "ART" trade for me. I new the hot money would run it up early because NFLX reports earning after closing. I also new my trade was very risky, but my main indicators were present, so I did not deviate from all rules. I entered the trade well before Amateur Hr. was over. I have seen Apple run up big on the opening morning before earnings, but loose steam really fast by 10:00-11:00. I think NFLX could drop like a rock, so I fled out of fear, but most importantly because it has gone up too hard for my tolerance. I just wanted to catch a little chunk while it was on the rise.
TCB
Re: Trading exclusively from a laptop-thoughts?
April 22, 2013 09:23AM
Today's laptops should have more than enough capabilities to run what you need. I particularly like Toshiba, and HP, and I would opt for a 17" screen. I think that they all come with Windows 8 now, but I like Windows 7. The more memory the better. Good job on NFLX as it had a nice run this morning and is now falling back.
April 22, 2013 11:05AM
NFLX was expensive too buy this morning. I am ok with the trade, but in hindsight, I should not have placed the trade based on the position size for me. The spread was also crazy! As I said before, God takes care of his babies and fools. I am not a baby!
April 22, 2013 11:10AM
Thanks TCB- I will start taking a look at some laptops that will hopefully perform well for my needs.
April 22, 2013 11:43AM
Rookie,

Do you leave your home system running? If you do then another option would be a go to my pc option and just use your office computer as a terminal to your home system. I think you can set this up for free to trial it and see what you think. I know several of Gary's students use this option.

Your work will see your laptop if you put it on their network. If they have a guest wireless then you are ok. Having a cellular modem can get expensive and it can be slow.

Consider approaching your IT department and take some doughnuts. Maybe they can lift the filter for your computer. Worth a try.

Good Luck
TCB
April 22, 2013 12:34PM
Also there is an app you can use on your phone called teamviewer that if you leave your home pc running and have teamviewer installed on it you can log into your home computer and control and view it from your phone or (laptop) as if you were there. I use the Teamviewer app on my phone to view my pc at home as it is free and it works great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2013 12:39PM by TCB.
Dan
April 22, 2013 01:26PM
Have you tried the web version of TOS? From the Think or Swim home page, select the tab for software and choose web based trading. It uses the same charts as the desktop version, but the last time I used it I could not save work spaces or chart settings like you can with the desktop version. Also, it requires the Java plug in be installed in your browser. Still, it might suit your needs and it's bound to be cheaper and faster than a wireless modem, unless you have a really good LTE or other 4G signal.
April 22, 2013 02:32PM
Rookie,

I spend most of my day on a laptop trading and monitoring the markets, and I run both Think or Swim for Futures, and Strategy Desk for GW Charts concurrently. My workplace has both a guest and secure network. At first I used the guest network and kind of got scared/paranoid that they (IT Folks) could log onto my personal laptop and see what I am doing similar how they can do it to my work computer. Because of this I purchased a AT&T wireless card, 4G, unfortunatley the connection was horrible for me in my building. I had to return the card so I went back to connecting to my work's guest network and hope they do not monitor me or able to see what I am doing, don't know if there are any network folks that could give us guidance regarding IT staff monitoring of networks and what they can and cannot see. Good luck, this is a really good topic!
April 22, 2013 05:09PM
I use a lap top. Just bought a new one for me. Until recently I traded in my home office with 2 screens. Now it is used to play some castle game by a 13 year old. I seldom go there. My S/O and I trade side by side in our dining room. S/O's computer in his office is used mostly by a 6 year old.

My lap tp is 8g and his is 4g. We have no problem at all. I think the screen is 22". On his he has the Quote sheet, and 3 charts the top and then under those he has 3 charts. His charts go like this..

55, 10 (half the size of the 55 moving average chart) and 21 (Gary's)

under these he has

5, 21 (half the size of the 55 moving average chart), and a 1 minute. Under the 5 chart he has a daily.

SD won't allow you to scroll down like Qcharts does so you will need to set your charts that fits how you trade.
April 22, 2013 06:38PM
At work I use my MAC pro book 13 inch with windows parallels desktop which has my Trade station on it. I can see my 4 charts and my radar screen with no problems. I used to use PC, but about every 2 years I was having to get a new laptop and half of the time I had to restart it before I could use any programs. With my MAC i open the screen and it works. They are a little more expensive but they work.
April 22, 2013 07:56PM
Cztrader, I have not left my home computer running, but if I can remotely connect to it and solve my problem, I will definately leave it on. Unfortunately, practically everything is filtered through my work server. I also have to use a "HotSpot" from my phone to access my laptop. Unfortunately, today I tried using my laptop to run charts, TOS numerical application, TOS MSNBC, and my brokerage account. I was running everything simultaneously. After about 10 minutes, the system simply shut down. It took 4 "dry boots" to get it back up. Needless to say, I will not do that again. I only ran two applications today.

I have head really good things about the MAC. I have always wanted a MAC, but they cost twice as much as traditional laptops. This might be the time to make the investment.

I will check out teamviewer immediately. That sound almost to good to be true, but I am going to see if it could possibly work for me-at least temporarily.

I appreciate all the feedback. I will take it all in consideration.
April 23, 2013 08:12AM
Rookie,

If you cannot put go to my pc on your company computer then install it on you laptop. Use your hotspot to access you home system and then you have the connection speed of your home system. You will only be viewing and not running the software or internet from your laptop.

Very workable solution.

Macs are great but setting up immolation software to run qcharts is a little cumbersome. Works great. I do not think you use qcharts so that may not matter to you.

Just my take
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login