Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Get Earnings and Seasonal Trends - Subscribe Today!

Advanced

QQQ or SPY

Posted by bubba 
QQQ or SPY
April 03, 2013 11:21PM
I would like to know if anyone trade's the QQQ or SPY? Would'nt it be easier to master the Indexes just a couple of stocks vs trying to search for stock specific trades? Doesn't most stocks correlate to how the Indexes move majority of the time anyways? Thanks for your responses! Curious what other folks take are?
Re: QQQ or SPY
April 04, 2013 08:14AM
I would trade whatever meets your schedule and your comfort criteria. Personally, I only trade big chart trades on stocks that move. I have read a few post and seems most are trading a couple stocks on short charts which is great if it works however the stock really doesnt matter as much to me as the charting criteria does. I rarely trade on anything less than a 233 however I prefer weekly/daily trades. Doesnt take a lot of work to get good at those, just patience. I think by my verbage everyone would know that I am a student of Gary Williams and I have taken 1-5, advanced, RTP, DE, as well as being a personal coaching client of Gary's. I have not attended a survival weekend.
April 04, 2013 03:54PM
BigChartTrader-

I have taken 1-5 and Advanced, not the others. I enjoyed the Advanced course, though I don't see myself using any of that stuff for a long time. But it does give me something to think about for other possibilities out there.

I hope to hear more from you about your trades and advice.

-Jon
April 04, 2013 08:51PM
Bubba,

I tried trading the QQQ's but I could not get a feel for it. My opinion is, a person has to be really good and extremely confident in their abilities to trade. I respect those who trade the QQQ's.

For me, it is easier to have a Winner that I trade 60-70% of the time. I know how that stock moves. I can clearly see it setting up each week. I land at least one trade a week, unless I miss it because of work. I have 3 or 4 others that I trade when I cannot find a solid trade in my Winner. Good luck and sorry I could not help.

Rookie
April 05, 2013 07:37AM
Rookie,

Do you only focus on a few stocks or do you have a basket of stocks that you analyze?
April 05, 2013 09:46AM
I have 6 in my basket, but I trade only 5 all year. I trade FOSL (6th stock) during specific windows of time. FOSL is a stock that will run up or down for several days. I have traded it for almost 2 years now, so I have a good idea when it will run up or down. When it goes below the 8 MA, it stays below the 8 MA for a while-again during specific windows of time. Not pushing you, but if you trade off big charts, FOSL might be one that will work extremely well for you off the 233-especially through the holidays (Calls-November to late Jan.). When I have the nerves to trade overnight again, this is one I will trade first. It is very predictable. Again, watch how it reacts above and below the 8 MA.

My top 4 are, NFLX, CF, DTV, (reacts nicely to the 233 also), HAL and my most volatile is AMZN.

Sorry, I know you did not ask for all of that.
April 05, 2013 09:51AM
Is this 8 MA the 8 minute Moving average? I dont have that on my workspace. I dont analyze moving averages at all so I am a little lost when it comes to that conversation. It is far less stressful to trade daily or 233 in conjunction with what the weekly is doing. You should practice it.
April 05, 2013 10:19AM
I have always wanted too learn how to trade off bigger charts. I really like the idea of learning how to make money in a way that is a little less stressful-however, I like a little stress also.

That 8 MA is by far one the best tools available- my opinion! It works best off the 55. It is pretty simple. In a Call, If candles are above the 8 MA, you are in a good position. On a call, if they fall below, the 8 MA, you need to consider exiting the trade. It is also used as an indicator for entry when candle breaks the 8 MA on the 55. As an intraday trader, I use it on my 13 as well for assistance with entry.

As I learn to trade off bigger charts, I will use that 8 MA off that 55 as guide to enter, exit, or stay in. I hope you are willing to help me (us) as we start training/practicing to trade off bigger charts.
April 05, 2013 10:29AM
I am more than willing to help in any way I can other than give specific trade advice.
April 05, 2013 12:37PM
Thank you all for your feedback, very grateful and appreciate everyone sharing! I have been trying to get to retirement choice for a little over two years and still far away, lost my basket many times due to my fault. I took 1-5, I would like to have taken other classes but since GW is no longer offering RTP or DE classes since his web site is down now. So I guess I will have to stick to what I learned in 1-5.

It would seem alot of folks here trade off the small charts and do mostly intraday trades. Big ChartHow long do you hold and how far do you buy out in time 5 Months?
April 05, 2013 01:42PM
5 months times. Usually a week - two at the most. Majority of my trading is done in the fall winter trading zone and earnings seasons.
April 06, 2013 12:46PM
I am not fond of the Q's. I do not like how they move. My brother traded SPY and lost $15,000.00 and I have a friend who traded SPY and lost over $50,000.00.

I am happy with my small charts and profits. I like having a variety of stocks to trade.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login