Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Get Earnings and Seasonal Trends - Subscribe Today!

Advanced

RTP - worth flying for

Posted by sonicwave 
RTP - worth flying for
June 13, 2015 08:35PM
Just wanted to get people's opinion if it was worth flying in for Rtp. It sounds like some folks have done that in the past. It would require me to fly in 8 times from the west coast. Is it better to just pack up and find a job in Raleigh? Let me know if I have gotten too crazy of thinking and moving to take classes for this - I am very passionate about this so my interest level is high
Re: RTP - worth flying for
June 14, 2015 02:28AM
I would never spend the time or money. My wife and I have done it and we do respect Gary for all he has taught us. Lately he seems to have lost focus and only wants to talk about TFT. This is a defense course some west coast seals come to his house to teach. He has streamlined the stock trading information and I think Survival I and II are worth the money if you survive all the TFT moments.

Something has changed in Gary and now its as if he needs money. There are always new discounts, extended deadlines....... The new coaching classes where you logon for a fee but can make no comments. He really is trying to maximize his returns with no real proof that his classes are sound. WSB works for many. It changed my family's life. The books were great and the thought process was awesome. I wish the old Gary was around. The new TFT Gary is a waste.

Stay in the West Coast. Study your material and find a mentor who actually trades.
June 15, 2015 11:26AM
Czech - AMEN. Folks - please read this post a couple of times!
June 15, 2015 07:14PM
Sounds like he's gone Goo-goo for Seals smiling smiley

On a side note: Maybe I should have mentioned this earlier, but this "TFT" defense course stuff is not a Seal course. It is some sort of self defense course that supposedly has provided training for Sec Ops units, and Seals in self defense.

While there is a part of me that wants to call BS, I'll refrain from doing so since I don't have all the facts. Besides it doesn't matter to my life so I won't waste my time or anyone's for that matter commenting on it further. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2015 09:25PM by RichieRick.
June 17, 2015 03:57PM
It is interesting to read responses to your question. On one hand, folks say they wouldn't spend the time or the money, and yet they have and they even talk of how Gary's information benefited them so much so that it changed their lives.....but they wouldn't recommend spending the time or money?.... And then there are others who add zero to these boards, other than complaints and negativity without any real foundation for their woes - sounds like people who probably did not follow as instructed.

I DO agree that Gary has referred to TFT, potentially, a little too much in drawing parallels to what he is trying to convey. Every great teacher uses things that they experience in their lives to explain and weave in their personal philosophies, and to assist in making complicated subjects easier to comprehend. Gary is using TFT, as that is a huge part of his life. I DON'T agree in that it feels like or sounds like Gary needs money. The discounts don't justify the argument that Gary needs money, nor does extending deadlines - which is a term I've never read in any of the information he's sent out about events, anyway. It sounds like, to me, that Gary is wanting to be open to everyone at a somewhat affordable level. For some/many, it is still difficult to come up with $800 for anything, let alone a 3-day workshop on how to trade the stock market. I don't fault him for being more compassionate to the current market of interested students. And, of course he is different. I'm not the same person I was 2 years ago, let alone who I was from 2001-2008 (I use those dates as that was the "old Gary" that it sounds like others miss). I'm a better person. I've worked on myself. Although there are shades of Gary-past, he seems to have become much more understanding and not quick to snap and judge - sometimes, in the past, he was an outright prick in my opinion.

To answer your question, "sonicwave," as to whether RTP is worth flying in or just moving to Raleigh. Either way, I personally feel RTP is worth it - especially if you have never taken the course. The new RTP vs. the old RTP has quite a bit of differences. I have had friends and family take both and tell how things are much more clearly stated, and how a few newer strategies will grow their wealth exponentially even more. Simply taking just Survivor 1 and 2, and then study, as suggested by one person is horrible advice. If you believe in Gary's methodology, then completely take the courses he offers. Stopping at Survivor 2 is like thinking your a college graduate after finishing up Middle School/Junior High School. Why would anyone leave all of that information out there after taking only Survivors 1 and 2 is beyond me.

Not really sure what your current personal situation is to advise you on if you should leave the west coast to find work on the east coast. Sounds a little too personal to be asking people on here for that sort of advice, anyway. I understand what you are saying, but in the end, you have decide where you want to live, period.

I wanted to ensure that all of your questions were addressed and not turn my response into a bashing session. In the end, I guess it depends on your personal feelings about the information you've gathered to this point and whether you want to bake Gary's cake or not. Whatever the case may be, it sounds like you have already found a mentor that actually trades - his name is Gary Williams.
June 18, 2015 09:32AM
I would agree that this question is a very personal one. Every person who trades for a living has to find their own way of doing so. I would hesitate to move to Raleigh because you would be putting a lot of the responsibility on Gary to teach you. But in fact, the responsibility is on you to learn.

I think you find a lot of conflicting opinions because everyone comes from a different place. Personally, I like to figure stuff out for myself. I don't like to be told, "this is the way to do it" because there are always several ways of doing everything. That may be hindering me on this voyage. Because I need to learn all that stuff that doesn't work. Which is one of the things Gary Williams has done.

Trading for a living is an ever changing thing though. So I don't know how you could "bake Gary's cake" and be successful over say 30 years.

And even if you did exactly as was told, and you found success in say 2 years... That would be misleading, as the market could change (no more QE) and your success under one market condition could turn into failure under another condition.

Again, I wouldn't move for the class. Even if it was the best information ever. Too much of the responsibility lies with you, and I think it would not be helpful to shift that around.
June 18, 2015 09:38AM
Does Gary advertise? NO! Somebody had to tell you about WSB or the Survival classes. So I have to believe that Gary’s being an occasional Prick, extremist, expressing his religious beliefs, a devout student of TFT and many other comments about the way Gary presents his material does not change the fact that we were all told about his class via word of mouth and probably by someone who actually cares about you personally. If you did not like the way he choose to present the material I believe you should take it up with the person who talked you into taking the class in the first place and choose not to return. I hope this does not offend anybody as that is not my intention but the facts speak for themselves and we all (myself included) tend to forget to take responsibility; we made the choice to take Gary’s classes and should take responsibility for that fact. Personally, after my wife and I took class one in 2006 my wife decided that neither Gary’s style, nor trading was for her; but I choose to return and take Class 2, then 3, then 4, then 5, then Advanced, then RTP, then DE, then class 1-5 a couple more times, then listen to CD’s more times than I can count, then RTP a second year, then Survivor I, then Survivor II and then Survivor III. I have done the work every day since the first Monday after Class I in October 2006, and like many of you I have not achieved choice but my life has been changed in many ways for the better due to the influence of Gary’s classes.

Based on my own personal experience you will not be successful as a trader until you can properly implement Survivor I information or some other basic trading system of your choice with consistency. The process is basically the same for all systems, they give us signals to do a trade and the edge the system provides will make money when done correctly over a period of time. We are the problem, we are the obstacle to our own success; the emotional and mental part of trading is much more difficult to master than the technical. Taking additional classes has not helped me learn to trade better or even learn how to trade successfully any quicker, but I do have the information of the advanced thought process that Gary teaches waiting for me in my notebooks when I am ready and capable to properly implement it; I therefore would not change anything I have done so far in regards to taking Gary’s classes.

Sonic, taking the classes and the pursuit of the trading craft itself is a very personal decision, you have taken classes and been exposed to how Gary presents his material, so I would suggest you base your decision on what you already know about Gary to determine if it seems worth it to you. If you can find a local mentor (something I have not been able to do) that can help keep you on track and give you advice on how to eliminate your mistakes, I do believe it will make a major difference in how long the journey to succeed at this craft will take. For the record I do not have a personal friendship with Gary and he would not even know I am a student if he saw me on the street, but I do have a large amount of gratitude for his willingness to share his wisdom.
June 18, 2015 11:44AM
I just wanted to thank everyone for their responses. Everyone is probably super busy with hectic schedules and I appreciate all the feedback I've gotten. Well since everyone has suggested that this is a personal decision - I guess I shouldn't tell you what I finally decide. When I do achieve choice I will make sure to let everyone know how I did it! (hint, hint)
June 18, 2015 01:58PM
One last thought as my opinion is right in the middle of all the others. I have been tied up with helping our company relocate and a bit late to the party. As I mentioned in other posts I have taken everything offered including old RTP / DE, SI-III, RTP 2014, and retaking RTP this year only for the "new stuff" that was promised. Taking RTP at least once was worth it in my opinion. It all depends on your level of desire and commitment to trading. Obviously there have been people that retired without RTP so it is not a "must have". Yes, TFT rammed down our throats every other sentence is getting old but that's Gary. I can overlook that. The one warning I have is that the quality of the information as presented this year has declined since 2014. My other reason for taking RTP this year is that GW typically gets better teaching after he knocks off some rust. That was true when retaking some Survival series classes but that is not the case this year in RTP. By the May 2014 class we had one class where we spent the better part of 90 minutes to 2 hours reviewing trades, candle-by-candle. We had at least 8 of them. Discussion entry and exit considerations along the way, talking about chart reading, why we would stay in, why consider exit, all through process, etc. Every little nuance seen on the charts as the trades progressed. I feel like the 2015 class got cheated as there had been very little charting stuff through May of this year. This year also appears to be a bit more scattered / unorganized. 2014 seemed more structure through June and started to get scattered around July. I can easily understand why someone would feel that GW is trying to maximize his returns as he is getting ready to start a webinar series on chart reading. We all know this will probably not be free. Why give it away for free if you can charge? I am not slamming the man - just pointing out facts. Things that used to be discussed in class are now being segmented into a completely separate money making venture. I have always tried to overlook the little things as I am grateful for the knowledge and willingness to teach as he never had to do that but can understand why some folks feel like they are being nickeled and dimed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2015 02:03PM by NCTrader.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login