Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Get Earnings and Seasonal Trends - Subscribe Today!

Advanced

Easiest way to place orders for options where on Tradestation?

Posted by bugabiga 
Easiest way to place orders for options where on Tradestation?
May 14, 2014 02:14PM
I have just started practicing with the actual buying and selling of options and while it is integrated, I really miss the easy platform of think or swim. Does anyone else find it cumbersome? Where do you normally place your orders for those of you who use tradestation? Placing a market order seems easy but typically I do a limit order. I have tried optionstation which is fine but they don't even show all of your positions unless you key in that one stock. I saw trade manager but I just want something like the think or swim platform where I can see all my positions (not that I normally have more than 1) but you never know. Thanks shannon
Re: Easiest way to place orders for options where on Tradestation?
May 14, 2014 02:27PM
Look under View:

I use the order bar for placing orders. I use the OptionStation pro (customizable) for options, but as you notice from my recent posting I was a little annoyed that my GTC were not being filled when price hit; so I may practice more options through my virtual OptionsXpress.

I use TradeManager (customizable) to view positions.
May 14, 2014 03:06PM
I customized both the optionstation pro and the trademanager, but think or swim is still easier imo....I'm sure I'll get used to it. I definitely like the charts...
May 15, 2014 06:47AM
Does Trade Station have a phone app? If they do, give it a try. ToS has a phone app and I find it easier and faster than using the platform. Especially for practice trades. I can check my trades without even starting up the computer. Much quicker when you are on the go. I can even show my charts on it. But only one chart at a time.
May 15, 2014 08:07AM
If only their phone app was as good as think or swims. Their ipad app lets you buy stuff but doesn't label the option as a monthly or weekly--you can't adjust to see volume or anything like that. All you can see is the bid ask unless I'm missing something. It was definitely a good suggestion. Apparently they are a little behind compared to think or swims app.
May 22, 2014 08:04AM
I concur. I love the flexibility of TS, chart analysis, and all the bells and whistles, etc. It is amazing what you can do and I am only starting to scratch the surface. That said the simple task of entering a symbol, pulling up an option chain, selecting the month/strike, and executing is the most cumbersome thing I have ever seen. You have three or four different tools to analyze options but I just want to buy and sell when the charts tell me to. Obviously I have not watched the 90 minute "Placing Orders Using Different Order-Entry Tools" video. I assumed it would be intuitive like all other platforms. NOT... smiling smiley
May 22, 2014 09:24AM
Here's one way to streamline Options buying on TradeStation. Format:

Pull up OptionsStation Pro; then link it's symbol (top right corner) to what ever chart you're making your option decision from. That way, it pulls in the ticker and you're ready to go.

I formatted the OptionStation Pro to be a little simple in appearance. I minimize the window and refer back to TS charts when I'm not placing an order.
May 23, 2014 09:02AM
Thanks Chunk! smileys with beer I really appreciate the feedback. After watching several videos I have come to the conclusion there are several ways to place equity orders but only really a handful for options. I think your recommendation is by far the easiest and once I customize OSP will be the closet to what I am use to. I had a mental roadblock with having to create a theoretical before placing a trade. I know I spent a good 45 minutes combined on two separate days trying to find the order bar in OSP or any reference to "Buy or Sell" Think I have it now but will need to work with simulated for a bit to get used to the workflow and being able to manage positions. Thanks again!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login