Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Get Earnings and Seasonal Trends - Subscribe Today!

Advanced

233 and 55 screenshot on tradestation--is this right?

Posted by bugabiga 
233 and 55 screenshot on tradestation--is this right?
May 12, 2014 06:03PM
Re: 233 and 55 screenshot on tradestation--is this right?
May 12, 2014 06:11PM
Do you see the gap on the right--because of the CC it is requiring 3 blank bars on the right. Otherwise, the green part of the CC won't show up. Do any of you know how to not have the gap there on the right? It is driving me crazy. I know I can get used to it, but I wondered if you knew how to get rid of it?
May 12, 2014 06:31PM
First,
Re-edit your photo: Hold your mouse so that your crosshairs reveals your precise time to enable me to accurately compare my charts so I know where you are; it looks like your not on May 12th.

Space to right: Try right click; format window; under general tab---tool around with space to right.
May 12, 2014 06:38PM
I'll take another picture when dinner is done. When I try to set the bars on space to right for anything less than 3 I can't see the green part of the cc. It totally disappears and gives me this message in events log: Tried to reference more bars than allowed by the current bars to the right setting.....
May 12, 2014 06:42PM
Well, as I look at all my charts; the green CC does extend past like yours (if that's what you're referring to). But I'm not sure if this happens intraday, and if it really matters.
May 12, 2014 06:43PM
May 12, 2014 07:00PM
Your 55 lines and metrics look fine; although my MACD red number is 1.80. I don't refer to numbers, yet.

Maybe Dan and NCtrader can weigh in on your 233.
May 12, 2014 07:54PM
The two charts above time stamped 5:43PM match up perfectly with my Daily and 55 minute charts on TS (Daily on Left / 55 on Right). I do not see a chart on this page that looks like my 233. That said my TS 233 and 55 do not exactly match my QCharts. I tried all four possible settings in QC using both Multi-Minute bar options (fast charts vs accurate charts) in conjunction with all sessions on and off. I have not trusted QC since the 6.0 conversion back around 2009 but being fair my TS 233 is giving me an odd closing price for AMZN. I need to investigate further but need to review my basket first. Will let you know what I find.

NCT
May 12, 2014 08:06PM
Yes that is my daily chart. I have requested the 9.5 update so that I can have the watermark stamp. I can't see the timeframes and it is bugging me. I could widen them, but I only have 2 screens and am trying to get as much as I can into my charts. Do you have the gap on the right like I do NCT? Just curious. I would like it gone.
May 12, 2014 09:33PM
I am not sure what to tell you. Visually my Daily/233 look pretty close. Looking at the numbers some things match perfectly while others are a bit off. The biggest difference is the closing price on 233 and both sets of BBs. Settings are all the same. I am wondering if it has anything to do with blank sessions (holidays) that can be included/excluded on the chart. I have seen some programs in Excel count the blank in an average which throws off the calculation - other times the blank is ignored. The thing that concerns me the most is the closing price of my TS 233. QC Daily/233 and TS Daily all agree with Yahoo, Google, and TOS with respect to closing price. Not sure where 302.61 in TS is coming from. I will keep investigating and let you know if I find anything but the bottom line is that I think I can trade the TS chart assuming no issues with data connections, symbol bleed, etc.

P.S. PLEASE let me know if you find away to have the correct CC settings w/out having the 3 spaces for the green. I have them as well. TS would not allow me to set up any other way. I can get use to it if I have to but it is a waste of real estate.

May 13, 2014 06:01AM
As I check ALL my TS small charts below daily, they have a different closing for the day 302.61. Daily says 302.86. I'm sure we could ask TS support about it.

Like you said NC, it's still tradeable.
May 13, 2014 08:08AM
Yep, I am the engineer type that could easily get caught up in the "why is this off a hair" and forget about the big picture that I am trading stocks that move $5 to $10 or more in a week on big charts (some $10+ in a day). A few cents here or there is not going to bother me as along as the overall picture and signals look the same sitting a few feet away. It would be different if I were scalping or trading a symbol that only moved $2 with each swing. I will be spending the rest of the week setting up my TS workspace, studying Radar Screen, and tweaking ZigZag (not shown above), and gaining an overall comfort level between the two.

bugabiga, I checked the forums last night. Everyone that uses an offset is forced to leave blanks to the right to account for the offset. If not then they receive the error message about not having enough space. If there is a way to get around this it is not well known. At least not that I could find.

Happy Trading!
Dan
May 13, 2014 12:00PM
I have a difference with the 233 you show. You show the time as 1:33 PM. Is this the candle start time? My TS candles show the end time for when candles stop painting. My data window for the same candle you have shows 4:00 PM. I know when I first started using TS, it was confusing because QCharts shows candle start times and TS shows candle end times for intraday charts. Is there a setting in TS to change from candle end time to candle start time? Other than this issue, my 233 charts are almost the same as yours. My indicator values are off just slightly as are the prices by a few pennies. The differences in 233 and daily charts prices may be due to the way exchanges continue to flow through transactions entered before 4 pm a few minutes after 4 pm and still count them as part of the day's processing. In contrast, an intraday candle may stop processing prices exactly at 4 pm. I don't know if this happens with TS, but I have seen it happen with other programs.
May 13, 2014 12:29PM
Yes, the two 233 charts I posted are the same time period. QCharts on the top with a start time of 1:23 is the same candle as the TS 233 Chart with end time of 4:00. For QCharts I selected the option to show "accurate charts" (a real memory hog) so that the candle shuts off exactly at 4:00. The 2nd option in Qcharts is "fast charts" that allows the candle to finish painting after standard session hours (all of volume that flows in shortly after 4:00 is counted). I tried both of these with "All Sessions" turned on and turned off. Those are the only four possible combinations in QC and none matched TS. I have used other services as well and use to things being off slightly. The good news is that when I sit back in a comfortable sitting position to review my set up everything appears the same cool smiley
May 13, 2014 02:03PM
Here is the answer. Stumbled across this during lunch while looking for something else. TS intraday numbers are what we see during the trading session. Daily can be adjusted after the close by the Exchanges.

"Daily data is 'corrected' by the exchanges after the market close. Form-T trades can come through before and after the market open and close. At the end of the day this is often called 'dribble'. Exchanges can also choose to change high and low daily prices if significant trades have taken place at those levels off-exchange.

Intraday data is the what you get when you trade. You can't trade at the daily prices."
May 13, 2014 02:11PM
Thanks NCtrader.
May 13, 2014 04:36PM
Thanks for that info about the fast and accurate bars in QC. I always had mine at the accurate setting. With qcharts I liked having all sessions marked on 1 chart just so in the morning I could easily see what the stocks were doing. Is there a way to do that with tradestation? I don't know if that makes sense but I thought I would ask.
Dan
May 13, 2014 06:00PM
TradeStation has the ability to configure the hours for any symbol. When you have your chart displayed, go to Format Symbol and then choose the Properties tab. This only works when you have an intraday chart selected. Click the three dots box to the right of Session and another dialog box will appear. Check the "Use custom sessions" button and then select the US Stock Pre-market template. This will show you the session times on the grid below. If you like what you see, keep it, but you can modify the hours if you want and save it by creating your own custom pre-market template.

Better than QCharts, wouldn't you agree!
May 13, 2014 09:45PM
That is pretty cool that you can create whatever timeframe you want or use one of the premade templates. I personally only look at regular sessions for my trading stocks but I am use to having a separate workspace containing a daily, 233, and a few smaller charts set to 24 hours. I start with the futures until just before the open to get a feel for how the morning and day might progress. The other cool thing I think I will like is the ability to flip back and forth between the workspaces by a simply mouse click.
May 14, 2014 02:58PM
Bugabiga,

I regards to the spacing of the charts to the right axis try this for a fix:

right click on chart
click format window
under the general tab go to chart properties and make sure it says space to the right 0 bars.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login