Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Get Earnings and Seasonal Trends - Subscribe Today!

Advanced

Please Help-This Hot Spot!!!!

Posted by rookie30 
Please Help-This Hot Spot!!!!
May 07, 2014 09:39AM
Is the speed the same on all Hot Spots? I have a portable Sprint Netgear Air Card. I had the options to buy the Air Card that plugs into the side of the laptop, but I chose the portable instead. I am having major issues with speed- especially during business hours. This is starting to affect my trading because I am not able to get in our out of positions fast enough. This problem is getting worse, and has me really concerned because it is pretty simple, if I cannot hotspot, I cannot trade! As most of us, we cannot fathom the thought of not trading. A few minutes ago I exited a Put play on TLSA with a decent gain, but I had to call my brokerage firm today and have them sell my position. Of course, they charge a fee, but I had to get out.

The issue with my job is, the educational system I work for is so large until everything is filter and has airtight firewalls set. There are departments who manage the security copmonent of this company, so it would be crazy for me to ask them to alter their process of mananging and monitoring so I can load my charts. There is simply no wiggle room to do anything here. It would be great if I could.

Would I have a better experience if I used the Air Card that plugs into my laptop opposed to the portable one? I have two devices that are connected to the hotspot, so I disconnected my Ipad, but the speed did not change on my laptop.

Are there different versions of Air Cards that are better quality or faster?

When I go into my home, I am automatically connected to my home wi fi through Time Warner Cable. When I disconnect the wi fi and connect my portable laptop while at home, it is back slow again, so I know it has something to do with that Card. I had the card reset and refreshed by sprint, but still no adequate speed. I tried to give you all that is going on with it, hoping someone can tell me something that will help me. I am willing to pay whatever to increase this speed. I have to execute trades faster- or I will find myself losing a lot of money.

I appreciate any help I can get at this point.
Re: Please Help-This Hot Spot!!!!
May 07, 2014 10:18AM
Morning,

See if you can swap the device for a new one. I have an air card that connects into the USB port on my laptop. It works well. When I'm out, I don't have any issues concerning speed so long as I have 2 or 3 bars.

Here is something else I would suggest.

Search vigorously, for spyware and malware on you laptop. It could be robbing you of speed and data flow. You can use programs like Sybot-search & destroy, and malwarebytes to scan your pc and keep it clean. Viruses aren't too much of an issue, but malware and spyware can really make you PC and network connection crawl at a snails pace. Also ensure your profile under windows is clean, and clear of crap that is constantly left behind.
May 07, 2014 10:24AM
RichieRick,

Thank you very much. I will speak with Sprint about making the switch. For whatever reason, I really thought a card inserted directly into my laptop would be a bit better, but my wife wanted the kids to have an option to get on line while we travel.

I have never heard the possible issues with Malware and Spyware. Are the programs free? or do I need to buy the program from my local Best Buy or any other office supply store?
May 07, 2014 11:11AM
If you've never heard of possible issues with Malware or Spyware then you have certainly been a victim of both.... you just didn't know it. But now you do:-)

I don't run any Virus protection on my workstations, but I do run Malware and Spyware protections. A hardcore PC virus with kill your PC. Once that happens you just rebuild and move on, but malware/Spyware will make YOU wish YOU were dead!!!!

Yes they are free programs... both of them are free. They do have a "paid" version, but just make sure you download the free version.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER....... go into a retail store and purchase software without FIRST checking to see if there is a similar peice of software online for free.

Any one ever heard of Open Office??? That's a great example. Open Office is a FREE office program that is basically a clone of MS office. And yes you can open MS Office document, and edit them interchangably without any issue.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login