Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Get Earnings and Seasonal Trends - Subscribe Today!

Advanced

Another Tradestation Question

Posted by NCTrader 
Another Tradestation Question
May 02, 2014 09:01AM
I have question for anyone familiar with both TOS and TradeStation. For background purposes I discovered StrategyDesk, around 2006/2007. Spent a couple of years coding, designing FP/HRFP scans, adding in other technical factors, back testing, etc. Eventually went back to Qcharts as I was not able to do everything I wanted in SD coupled with sporadic connection issues. I also discovered that you will rarely get better than 75% to 85% accuracy using pure black box signals. GW signals were consistently around 80%. Unfortunately that does not necessarily mean you will be able to make up the spread, be profitable, or help you manage the trade once entered so I decided to gravitate back to working on the “art” of the trade. Being able to look at two identical trades and intuitively knowing which one should provide a better opportunity.

Here is my question. There is some research I have been wanting to do and I like what Robert/others are doing with TOS customization, code seems intuitive, and much more flexible than SD. That said I have never liked the TOS platform. Call me an old dog but TradeStation appears to be more my speed after using Qcharts and SD for years. Can anyone tell me if TradeStation is as flexible as TOS with respect to customization, coding, etc.? Is there a steeper learning curve? It looks like Robert can do darn near anything he wants with TOS. Curious about TradeStation. Any insight is appreciated.
Re: Another Tradestation Question
May 02, 2014 09:09AM
One last thought. An example of what I want to know is whether or not you can define variables in TS (or TOS for that matter) and then run a ount or sum to see how many of your conditions are met. In SD you were forced to write out all possible combinations of what you wanted to scan. I want to know if TS will allow you to define the conditions and sum up how many are met vs. writing out every possible combination.
May 07, 2014 12:27AM
HI NCtrader,
The Tradestation platform is very flexible with it customization, coding, etc. Beyond that they have an app store where you can find alot of pay and free add ons. If you are looking for a platform where coding is pretty and great support for coding then tradestation is the place. Bo
May 07, 2014 07:46AM
Thanks Bo! Appreciate the feedback.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login