Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Get Earnings and Seasonal Trends - Subscribe Today!

Advanced

APPLE IS A BEAST!

Posted by rookie30 
APPLE IS A BEAST!
August 20, 2012 11:21AM
I have always been intrigued by Apple and the amount of movement that takes place in this stock. It is king in it's sector. I just CANNOT TRADE IT! When I tried to trade AAPL, I found myself losing more often than I was comfortable. It is very inconsistent. If you follow the major rules, you will very, very rarely see a trade that will work (my opinion).

I have a good friend who trades it every week. He has traded Apple for years and knows it moves. He is a student of WSB and Advanced as well. I talked to him about his approach to trading it. He has mastered the discipline of taking small loses, but riding big gains until the horse is broken. He uses all the indicators that indicate a trade, but if it does not turn in his direction in less than 2 hours, he is out and takes the loss. He does this multiple times during the week. He might lose $500 bucks trying to time Apple's movement, but when he gets the right entry, he rides and makes thousands of dollars each week. This approach works well for some, but new traders, this will kill us. If your account is started with the $2500 that is suggested, you cannot afford to take several small loses. Work to learn how to trade and have few loses along with small dollar amounts. For this reason, I do not trade AAPL. I cannot "stomach" the multiple loses.

Rookie
Re: APPLE IS A BEAST!
August 20, 2012 06:27PM
Rook...Apple is a beast and it makes people a lot of money. The best way to play aapl safely is to trade it before a product announcement. It historically takes off before any product announcement. This year there are two big ones and that is why you have to massive upside movement. You have the iphone 5 and the mini ipad...two huge products that are widely anticipated. Beyond the product announcements and earnings it is a hard stock to trade. Stick with the basics and trade like GW says...in front of a catalyst. Go back and look at when aapl announced any new products and watch the charts take off...you will be amazed.

BC
August 21, 2012 08:39AM
I do Widow and Orphans with AAPL virtual. I have paid for my 200 share purchase doing widow and orphans. My goal is to purchase 200 shares real money on a pull back and do widow and orphans on the weekly options.

I do not trade AAPL. Why should I when I make good on CF, CRM and AMZN?

If you find your timing is off on AAPL practice it and trade real where you are doing well.
August 21, 2012 08:50AM
BTW I also like FFIV at certain times. I trade it about 4 - 6 times a year and that's all.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login