Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Get Earnings and Seasonal Trends - Subscribe Today!

Advanced

Help! Bombed on Charting Platform!

Posted by rookie30 
Help! Bombed on Charting Platform!
March 12, 2014 09:29AM
I am having major issues with Strategy Desk! I am NOT trading-therefore, losing money-EVERY DARN DAY! I promised my wife I would not curse and I just popped the pill, so I am not going to use twisted words-sorry about that last time.

Anyway, I hotspopt my laptop everyday at my office (9-5 job). 100% of trades are contingent upon having this hotspot access. Up until this week, things have gone well, and full speed ahead. Starting Monday, I was not able to fully load my Strategy Desk. It would load up yesterday's charts, but would not go live for the present day. Now, when I switched over to my Think or Swim for Futures, everything was moving as normal-no problems! This was based on the same hotspot connection. SD was dead and TOS was live as normal. Yesterday, I tried something different. I left the office with my laptop and went home. My laptop automatically picked -up the wireless conection at home through Road Runner. That was a normal occurance. Of course I expect my SD charts to not load and not run live-since it would not from my hotspot. Well, the charts loaded and ran normal. No issues. I was really puzzled. My TOS works find at both locations, but SD only works with my wireless at home. Has anyone ever heard of this?

I called Sprint (hotspot). They did a hard reset on my hotspot, but it did not fix the issue. I am sick and p'oed. I guess when you expect something free to work well, you are taking a risk. I guess that is why so many people spend the couple of hundred dollars a month and buy Qcharts. Strategy desk has been a really good system for me. I am very familiar with the platform, but I guess I need suggestion regarding other platforms or a suggestion how to fix this issue? If I switch to another platform, I do not want to be forced to drop money in an account to have access to the trading platform. I really like using Scottrade. My option trades are very reasonably priced, they have local branches that I can physically go in an talk to a agent, and I have built a relationship with my Scottrade guy. Ha ha! He asked me to train him on my trading strategies. I guess when he evaluates the activity in my account, he can clearly see that I do something right-lol! Right now, "I am busted" and not making a red daang cent. I just need guidance. I am also going to call Ameritrade and ask for assistance with their product (Strategy Desk).

Thanks for your help.
Re: Help! Bombed on Charting Platform!
March 12, 2014 09:51AM
Why not use TOS exclusively???
That way it is all realtime. The paper trade side is delayed, but the live side is realtime. Most of your settings should port right over I would think, but I could be wrong since I don't know that much about SD.
I use TOS exclusively now, and you don't HAVE to fund it either.
TCB
March 12, 2014 11:28AM
I use SD and TOS but I haven't had any issues with SD this week. It would appear to me that it would be something to do with the hotspot. Maybe a setting in the hotspot changed?
March 12, 2014 11:57AM
I, too, use a sprint hotspot/laptop combo during the day to watch the market. Last week, my SD charts would not populate and only the symbols showed in the columns. Today I have it all. Go figure. As Gary has said "When my charts are working, I figure God is telling me to go fishing".
TCB
March 12, 2014 02:39PM
Also when having a problem with charts not loading, try switching the server in SD. Under the File menu, select server, select reconnect or switch and see it that helps.
March 13, 2014 12:58PM
Thanks for your help. I have indulged myself in TOS. I wore this poor fella out today. I want to get all my questions answered and, I want to make sure he had the time to help me. He said yes, so it was game on for about an hour! I found ways to set the parameters as they were based on Gary's Parameters. I have figured out how to set up multiple screens-which is a must for me. I have not practiced using TOS charts, but I am trying to get more familiar with the platform. There are a lot of things I really like about TOS at this point such as the futures are on the same screen as my charts. My main focus was to continue trading using the same techniques and settings I have used for the last two years. This platform seems to allow me to do that . I will not get to excited too fast. I will simply take the next week or so and practice on these new charts.

Thanks again for your help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login