Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Get Earnings and Seasonal Trends - Subscribe Today!

Advanced

TOS doesn't work for me ... what to do??

Posted by sonicwave 
TOS doesn't work for me ... what to do??
January 22, 2014 09:41AM
Hey guys, I am seeking advice. My TOS platform hasn't been working since the weekend and I have called customer support. They have been unable to resolve the issue for me. I am not sure what to do?

- Would you wait for a potential fix to be issued? I have not received any definitive times

- I asked for free trades since the system is busted and was told I would receive no compensation

- Fortunately, I am not in any trades. If you were in the same boat would you switch?
Re: TOS doesn't work for me ... what to do??
January 22, 2014 09:58AM
When you say, "not working". What exactly do you mean? Are you NOT able to login?

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling TOS?

I use a free program to uninstall stuff and clean up anything left behind. It's called Revo Uninstaller. Try using that to uninstall TOS, and then download the latest version, and try a fresh install.

Before that though, you should back up your settings to a flash drive for later recovery, and restore. You can to a manual back up from the login window on TOS. Just click on "configure" and you will see the back up and restore tab. There could also be an issue with Java, since TOS relies heavily on Java, so check on that as well.

Hope that helps:-) Good luck to you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2014 09:59AM by RichieRick.
January 22, 2014 10:02AM
Yeah I had to upgrade my Java to the latest and I did an uninstall and a re-install. I haven't done that though with a uninstaller tool. I will check it out.
January 22, 2014 10:02AM
I am able to login but then I get a Java error after the application opens up.
January 22, 2014 10:08AM
Here is what I would try...

You may have more than one version of Java, and the version that comes with TOS is conflicting somehow. Is this a work PC, or your own personal workstation?

anywho,
Get an uninstaller tool like Revo Uninstaller. Use that to do the uninstall. That will look for and clean up stuff left on your operating system by the program, and Windows. I'd also uninstall Java, and once that is all cleaned up, reboot the system. Then start back with a fresh install, to see if that will resolve the issue. Are you running Win 7, or Win 8?? There was a big update to TOS over the weekend, so I may have had a conflict with something on your PC. I'm assuming it's a PC anyway :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2014 10:17AM by RichieRick.
Dan
January 22, 2014 10:39AM
To all,

If you are not already a member, go to Yahoo groups and sign up for the group TOS_thinkscript. There have only been at least 50 messages about problems since last weekend's software upgrade, both reporting the problem and giving workarounds for it. This groups is an invaluable resource for all things TOS, and Thinkscript in particular. The folks in this group are very helpful and I wholeheartedly recommend it.
January 22, 2014 10:52AM
S/O had this problem and spent all day...ALL DAY on the phine with TOS correcting the problem they had him save some files then uninstall and reinstall. Everything is fine today.
January 22, 2014 11:14AM
Him guessing they had him back up his workspace manually, then clean everything out, and install fresh.

Don't forget!!! Once you restore from a manual back up, you will need to load it again once TOS starts up. That way you will see the backup you just restored.
January 22, 2014 04:30PM
Thanks for the replies. They have been very helpful.
January 22, 2014 06:31PM
Just a quick note... I used to be a PC person and had nothing but problems with Windows 8 and computer hardware. I switched over to a MAC this past December and things are so much better. I upgraded TOS and Java and it's working great. I can say, I love my MAC (thank you for the advice, Robert.)
January 22, 2014 08:52PM
So since TOS is down and not working with the suggestions. And, after reading the SW notes that just got posted, I am going to go with [www.tradingview.com] using the "free" option.
TCB
January 22, 2014 08:58PM
Strategy Desk would be a good alternative. I use SD and TOS together.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login