Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Get Earnings and Seasonal Trends - Subscribe Today!

Advanced

Linux vs Windows

Posted by UGATrader76 
Linux vs Windows
June 12, 2022 07:32AM
Does anyone on here use Linux? I’m thinking about swapping over to get better efficiency out of my PC. Just wondering if it really helps TOS run any better. The only other thing I do with this PC is to surf the web.
Re: Linux vs Windows
June 12, 2022 08:44AM
Linux is badass for sure. WAY better than anything Microsoft has ever put out. I used to have a Linux box years ago, but I never tried to run TOS on it. Honestly I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Get another HDD and setup your PC to dual boot. Then you can test it out. If it doesn't work then just blow away the Linux build and keep the HDD. smiling smiley
June 12, 2022 11:01AM
That’sa great idea! Thanks!
June 26, 2022 10:04AM
Have you had a chance to setup a duel boot yet? I'm curious if you were able to get ToS to run on Linux.
June 27, 2022 07:56PM
It seems to work great. No issues yet. Charts seem to work faster. Going to install it on my laptop note that I know it will work.
March 26, 2024 03:03AM
UGATrader76 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone on here use Linux? I’m thinking
> about swapping over to get better efficiency out
> of my PC. Just wondering if it really helps TOS
> run any better. The https://zumbaliciouscrew.com/en/zumba-for-beginners/ only other thing I do with
> this PC is to surf the web.

Switching to Linux can indeed offer better efficiency and performance, especially if you're using a lightweight Linux distribution optimized for speed and resource efficiency. However, whether it will specifically improve the performance of Thinkorswim (TOS) depends on various factors, including how well TOS is optimized for Linux and how resource-intensive your usage of TOS is.

Here are a few considerations:

Compatibility: Ensure that Thinkorswim is compatible with Linux. While many trading platforms are designed to run on Windows, some users have had success running TOS on Linux using compatibility layers like Wine. However, this may require some technical know-how and troubleshooting.
Resource Usage: Linux tends to be less resource-intensive than Windows, so if your PC's hardware is limited, Linux may provide better performance overall. This can be particularly beneficial if you're multitasking or running multiple applications simultaneously.
Customization: Linux offers a high degree of customization, allowing you to tailor your system to your specific needs. You can choose a lightweight desktop environment, optimize system settings, and streamline background processes to improve performance.
Security and Stability: Linux is known for its security and stability, with fewer vulnerabilities and a lower risk of malware compared to Windows. This can result in a more reliable computing experience, especially for critical tasks like trading.
Learning Curve: Switching to Linux may require some adjustment if you're accustomed to using Windows. While modern Linux distributions like Ubuntu and Linux Mint are user-friendly, there may still be a learning curve as you familiarize yourself with new software and workflows.

Ultimately, whether Linux will help TOS run better depends on your specific hardware, usage patterns, and willingness to adapt to a new operating system. If you're primarily using your PC for trading and web browsing, Linux could be a viable option worth exploring, especially if you're seeking better performance and security. However, it's essential to research compatibility and consider testing Linux on your system before making the switch.
April 02, 2024 05:50AM
RichieRick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Linux is badass for sure. WAY better than
> anything Microsoft has ever put out. I used to
> have a Linux box years ago, but I never tried to
> run TOS on it. Honestly I can't see any reason
> why it wouldn't work.
>
> Get another HDD and setup your PC to dual boot.
> Then you can test it out. If it doesn't work then
> just blow away the Linux build and keep the HDD.
> smiling smiley

Absolutely! Linux offers incredible flexibility and power
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login