Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Get Earnings and Seasonal Trends - Subscribe Today!

Advanced

Anyone remember in 1-5 "Don't trade the news"?

Posted by Darcy3 
Anyone remember in 1-5 "Don't trade the news"?
February 15, 2022 12:23PM
I remember that being said but the way I trade in today/out today NEWS trades have treated me very well. Today (11/15/22) with a sour PPI report the market shot through the roof (should have caved) and according to the talking heads it was because Russia is supposed to de-escalate. Just hearing that caused the market to move up on rumors but there is more to it than that...possible short covering??? ROKU ~ look at 8 chart after it leveled off on the 50 moving average. Room for it to go up to the 200... time close of candle @ 11:06 new candle started at 11:06. Found its support on the 50 moving average, consolidated and moved up. That's what I look for. Note after candle hit the 200 moving average on 8 started a pull back. Possibly to 162 and change looks like 21 and 55 chart agree with that thought.
Re: Anyone remember in 1-5 "Don't trade the news"?
February 15, 2022 04:20PM
Yep I remember GW shouting that in class. I also remember he had us track the news and do paper trades on the news just to us to NOT trade the news. lol.
Peaks and Slams plays were also "News Plays" if I recall correctly. smiling smiley

R
Re: Anyone remember in 1-5 "Don't trade the news"?
February 16, 2022 02:59PM
If you think about it really most all trades are NEWS. I remember GW telling our class to take notes on the market, what made it move. Investing should NOT be done on news. You need research to invest. A trade is there to catch the ride not the knife. Researchtrade is a great example of using news combined with research on a company to invest and then use the research to do a covered call. Trade smarter not harder.

I'll share my trade step by step today and exactly what I look at in this type of set-up. My trade today (2/16) ..RBLX. In at 13:28 out @ 13:36. bought 10, 55 put contracts for 2.64 sold for 3.05 using moving averages on 8,13,21 and 55 charts I could see almost exactly where this stock would hit before turning around.

Gary said once in our class..."Turn your candles off". It isn't a CANDLE thing or else why would he say, "Turn your candles off"? I watch those moving averages. The Bollinger bands are also moving averages and affect trades. Learn these and use multiple charts. In my RBLX trade I could see about the same price range on the 8,13,21, and 55 as to where I believed my put trade would go before a turnaround using moving average prices and seeing the trade was down.

Those itty-bitty candles on the 8 chart makes some overlook the great trade that was setting up. The expanse the Bollinger band was making was telling me there was a profit forming. Smaller candles tell me the option isn't moving as much but the expanse of the BB was saying this trade is setting up. I watched as the candles hugging the 20-moving average on the 8 chart and waited until they started to pull away from the 20. Look at a 1-minute chart and you can see exactly what I am talking about in this time frame of my trade. Although it looks like I could have gotten in earlier the option was not moving UNTIL there was a clear signal which was when the Bollinger band began to close up. Those options were not moving until then. Is it that way every single time? No that's why I look at how the option is acting as well as my chart.

I jumped on the trade. Put in GTC .50 up and was out in 8 minutes. .50 is all I ever really ask for unless I am watching the charts which I seldom do once I am in a trade. I usually head into another work area and listen to the talking heads...NEWS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2022 06:09PM by Darcy3.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login