Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Get Earnings and Seasonal Trends - Subscribe Today!

Advanced

Computer help

Posted by PastorP 
Computer help
November 10, 2018 04:55PM
I have some questions on computers for you all.

I am switching/downsizing jobs soon and going to have more time for trading. I need to purchase a new computer but not sure what I should get. I know for sure I will be trading Widow and Orphans/Printing press. I also trade some short charts like Darcy and Rookie 30 OR more like Gary taught on the OEX/QQQ trades.

My first decision is should I get a lap top or desk top. I was thinking desk top for the bigger monitor or multiple monitors ( one for the charts, one for the trading page) BUT I could just split the pages on one monitor. The lap top is nice for when I travel.
What are most of you using?

The other question is what do I need. I don’t know much about computers these days. How much RAM, Hard drive space, processors and whatever other things I need on it to make sure it keeps up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Computer help
November 11, 2018 08:37AM
Hello PastorP, I have not used these guys but know of WSB students that have ... [workhorsetradingstationsandpcs.com] ... Definitely worth checking out. I currently use a desktop with 2 24 inch monitors. More monitors is certainly nice though not necessary to trade well in my opinion. As my vision continues downhill with age and I get closer to retirement, I will consider more monitors.
November 12, 2018 10:34PM
You may have this already sorted out by now, Pastor P, but here are my thoughts. I always start with application requirements. Back in the day QCahrts was resource intensive HOG if watching 100+ symbols plus markets and sector indexes. At that time I bought as much computer as I could afford and minimum 16GB of RAM. At that time I believe I had 3 -19" monitors. Tradestation can be resource intensive but not to the extent of QCharts. The improvements in processors over the past 10+ years also makes a difference. I can't speak to TOS but Alchem appears to be relative lightweight to run. I only mention this because there is really no reason to go out and spend thousands on a custom rig when you can go to a local shop like Intrex and start with their mid to premium rig. Then you decide on amount of memory - bringing up desired number of monitors will start the video card discussion, Once you know all that, then it's a matter of powering as you want to make sure you have an adequate power supply and cooling. You can't go buy an off the shelf retail rig and add extra video cards, assuming you have the expansion slots, and expect it to run and cool appropriately. Maybe it will and maybe it won't. I found the guys at Intrex to be very helpful - not more than I need but definitely pointed me in the right direction when I was going astray.

All that said, I have a 2 year old I7, 32GB of ram, 2 video cards that will push 3 monitors each and room to add another video card if so desired. Truthfully the goal was to eventually go to 6 - 20" or 22" but I settled on 4 - 24" monitors. That's more than enough real estate for me. You might be okay with 2 - 24". Some folks are trading off of their laptops. If you were trading the bigger charts using the newer style GW teaches, I would suggest at least 4 - 24" so you can "see the flow". As for memory, 16GB is generally enough but as a former analyst that still likes to dabble in data, I had a few situations where I ran out of memory so I bumped it up.

Best of luck!
November 14, 2018 01:15PM
Pastor P if you get larger monitors and use a multitude expect your trading area to get HOT. I have twin 20 inch in my office. My office is rather small...9x15 but it gets so hot in there I had to have a small window air conditioner installed. Our home AC simply couldn't keep this one room cool. If we turned it up the rest of the house would be freezing. I don't know what GW's new method requires. I have Qcharts stretched all across my office monitors. (Yes you can still get Qcharts) I found I do not need all the bells and whistles GW had us get in 1-5. S/O uses Qcharts too and together we don't spend as much as I spent on just me using GW's recommendations. I hated Trade Station charts. That's just me. I just couldn't trade babies half way through raising one.

I also use a lap top. 17inches. The only thing I don't like is it is MSFT 10!
November 14, 2018 04:38PM
Thank you for the responses.

NCTrader, I appreciate you letting me know about the 16GB of Ram. I was at BBY and they were telling me 8-12GB of Ram would be good.
I don't want to be bogging down while running the charts. I also looked up Intrex on line as you suggested. I looks like they are only in the center part of NC, I am on the east end of NC.

Darcy, you said you also use a lap top. Are your two monitors hooked to the lap top or do you have a desk top they are hooked to AND a lap top for when you're not in the HOT room?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login