Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Get Earnings and Seasonal Trends - Subscribe Today!

Advanced

Remote access [from work] to your [home] charting service

Posted by RaleighTrader 
Remote access [from work] to your [home] charting service
December 11, 2015 12:58PM
I've read several messages on this forum where folks have had difficulty accessing their charting services (AlchemCharts, QCharts, TOS, others) because of firewall restrictions or other technical limitations at work. I encountered the same issue when I tried accessing QCharts from work, and subsequently the same issue w/ StrategyDesk. So, I began bringing my 17 in. laptop into work (with SD loaded on it) so I could periodically chart checks. Well, that quickly became a PITA, so I figured out a simple way to access my charting service without lugging around 2 laptops.

Go to [www.teamviewer.com]. This is a remote system access application that you can download (for private use) for free on both your home and work computers, and it allows you to take control of one computer from another. So now I leave my laptop up and running at home, and at work, I fire up TeamViewer to access my home laptop. Not sure why I didn't think of this before, but wanted to share that insight with ya'll in case you're in the same situation.

Practice more & trade well!
Re: Remote access [from work] to your [home] charting service
December 11, 2015 05:22PM
Appreciate the insight. I have been using LogMeIn for years. Started when it was free but they have since started charging.
December 11, 2015 06:54PM
Many of these methods require you to download something to the work computer, which my employer wouldn't allow. So I added VNC to my home computer and VNC Viewer to my iPad - I think it's like GoToMyPC. Viewing on an iPad is much less a pain in the neck than a 17" laptop. But then I have to get my iPad online (it's wifi-only). Of note, I just did this last night and haven't gotten to the point of actually executing the strategy from work yet. Again, it's a connectivity issue.
December 13, 2015 10:27PM
TOS needs the proxy server info in order to work behind a firewall. I'll bet SD does as well.

Many times the corp network will allow the traffic, you just need to know the proxy server settings. This sort of data passes thru a proxy server which can track and monitor the traffic. If you do a bit of digging you can find the proxy server address and port info that will allow your program to work. If you have a network administrator onsite you can just ask them. If they give you the info then most times it won't be an issue for you to use the program. Most times that info is public knowledge within the company itself. Do some searching on your corp intranet, and I'll bet you'll find it.
So long as you are getting your work done of course.

Besides you only need to peek at a once or twice during the day anyways. If you are sitting there all day staring at it, your boss may become a bit unhappy. smiling smiley
April 10, 2016 07:46AM
In my experience team viewer works best on my iPhone 6plis ,team viewer is the best free app out there and no issue accessing from work wifi
I believe it is not a good idea to try to access on work computer simply they don't pay is to do trading lol smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login