Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Get Earnings and Seasonal Trends - Subscribe Today!

Advanced

Fun with ThinkScript

Posted by robert 
Re: Fun with ThinkScript
June 04, 2015 11:17PM
Ralph53
I didn't describe this right. I wanted to place the line on the left side of the chart. On a 15 candle chart it would start on the 10th candle from the right and work left from there. I find that to many horizontal lines on a chart become a distraction and it would view better if some were on the left.

# 5 Cents Below Open # 
def OpenNeg5 = (open("period" = AggregationPeriod.DAY) - .05);
def lastbar = HighestAll(if IsNaN(close) then 0 else BarNumber());
plot condition = if BarNumber() < lastbar - 10 then GetValue(OpenNeg5, BarNumber() - lastbar) else Double.NaN;

- robert

Professional ThinkorSwim indicators for the average Joe
Thinkscript Problem
June 02, 2015 11:51PM
I’m having a problem with a script. I’m trying to plot a moving line on a chart and I want it to give me the High[1] if HULL is negative and disappear when the HULL turns positive.

I can only describe it in this way but it doesn't work;

def X =
input price = high;
input offset = 1;
input length = 10;

def Y = (nothing showing);

X.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.LINE);

plot Line = X if HullMovingAvg() <= HullMovingAvg()[1] or Y if HullMovingAvg() >= HullMovingAvg()[1];

This is my first post. Can you help?
Re: Thinkscript Problem
June 03, 2015 01:23PM
You need to use the SetHiding() function, but it seems to be broken right now because not even the examples that are given on the thinkorswim website work anymore.

[tlc.thinkorswim.com]
June 03, 2015 11:14PM
I reported it to them.
I want to hide the value of X if HULL is negative. Is this what the script would look like if the SetHiding() function were working properly?

def X = Close >= Close[1];
plot condition = X;
condition.SetHiding() = (HUllMovingAvg() <= HUllMovingAvg()[10]);

Thanks so much.
June 04, 2015 12:47AM
MomentumSMA plot / alert help
June 06, 2015 06:13PM
I'm missing something here and it might be because the MomentumSMA is a combined indicator; there is an SMA plot of the Momentum = two plots for the indicator. I'm simply looking for a little strength in the trend with RSI(14) > 49.99 along with the MomentumSMA >0 (momentum and the SMA of the momentum). The pullback is when the Momentum < MomentumSMA but both are still > 0. I added Momentum (no SMA) also as a condition also but it makes no difference.

declare lower;

def condition1 = if reference RSI(14) > 49.99 then 1 else 0;
def condition2 = if reference Momentum(15) > 0 then 1 else 0;
def condition3 = if reference MomentumSMA(15) > 0 then 1 else 0;
def condition4 = if reference Momentum(15) < MomentumSMA(15) then 1 else 0;
plot alert = condition1 and condition2 and condition3 and condition4;

There are several areas where the plot should be showing or at "1" but the line is flat where all the conditions are met. There is more to this before an actual trade but that's where the human element comes in....

Any help is appreciated.

Gotta be something simple...kinda new to scripting
Re: MomentumSMA plot / alert help
June 06, 2015 07:48PM
Palmer,

I don't have TOS loaded up at the moment, but looking over your code, this line stands out:

def condition4 = if reference Momentum(15) < MomentumSMA(15) then 1 else 0;

As you've defined it, Momentum(15) will never be less than itself so this line will always evaluate as false. I am assuming that you meant to say that momentum is less than the previous momentum in which case you would want to use this line instead.

def condition4 = if reference Momentum(15) < MomentumSMA(15)[1] then 1 else 0;

The " [1] " after MomentumSMA(15) means to get the value of the previous bar.

- robert

June 06, 2015 07:58PM
Robert; I saw what I need on the AutoWave screenshot on page 1.

How can I have the price bubble from the price area appear on a chart in a fixed spot? Say 8 candles to the left and dead center in height? I would need to know how to alter the coordinates if I need to move it.

def X = HullMovingAvg() - HullMovingAvg()[1]

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2015 11:23PM by Ralph53.
June 06, 2015 08:42PM
Robert:

Thank you for your reply. And now that I see that, yes, you are correct. The logic I am trying to code is when both the Momentum and its SMA are above the zero line and the Monentum has dipped below the SMA such as i nthis example:

The yellow line is the zero line, red line is the SMA and the aqua line is the Momentum. So, you'll see in the left half of the image the Momentum and the SMA are both above zero but the Momentum has dipped below it's SMA but both are still above zero.

That's what I need.....I know it's easy but I'm just not seeing it....
June 06, 2015 09:03PM
Palmer
The logic I am trying to code is when both the Momentum and its SMA are above the zero line and the Momentum has dipped below the SMA such as i nthis example:

Gotcha. Change condition 4 to this:

def condition4 = if reference Momentum(15) crosses below MomentumSMA(15) then 1 else 0;

- robert

Need help with basic ThinkScript
June 06, 2015 11:40PM
Dear People:

I'm new to ThinkScript and I copied the closest program I could find to do what I'm trying to do,
and now I'm making modifications to adapt it. I hope one of you can give me a hand with this.

I'm just trying to provide short horizontal lines showing the daily market gaps by subtracting the
previous day's close from the current day's open.

I'm stuck at this preliminary stage:

input aggregationPeriod = AggregationPeriod.DAY;
input length = 1;
input displace = -1;
input showOnlyLastPeriod = no;

# Instead of plotting both, I'd like to uncomment the 2 lines further below to just plot the difference
plot TodayOpen;
plot PrevDayClose;

#def difff = (TodayOpen - PrevDayClose;
#plot difff;

# I need to modify the following section to correctly define thw previous day's close (w/o "highest"winking smiley
if showOnlyLastPeriod and !IsNaN(close(period = aggregationPeriod)[-1]) { PrevDayClose = Double.NaN;
} else { PrevDayClose = Highest(close(period = aggregationPeriod)[-displace], length);
}
PrevDayClose.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(9));
PrevDayClose.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.HORIZONTAL);

# I need to modify the following section in order to correctly define the current day's open (also w/o "highest"winking smiley
if showOnlyLastPeriod and !IsNaN(close(period = aggregationPeriod)[-1]) { TodayOpen = Double.NaN;
} else { TodayOpen = Highest(open(period = aggregationPeriod)[-displace], length);
}
TodayOpen.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(8));
TodayOpen.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.HORIZONTAL);
Re: Need help with basic ThinkScript
June 07, 2015 05:07AM
kadosh
I need to modify the following section to correctly define the previous day's close

def CloseYesterday = close(period = AggregationPeriod.DAY)[1];

kadosh
I need to modify the following section in order to correctly define the current day's open

def OpenToday = open(period = AggregationPeriod.DAY);

- robert

June 07, 2015 05:46AM
Ralph53
How can I have the price bubble from the price area appear on a chart in a fixed spot? Say 8 candles to the left and dead center in height? I would need to know how to alter the coordinates if I need to move it.

def X = HullMovingAvg() - HullMovingAvg()[1]

Why not just put it in a box at the top?

def X = HullMovingAvg() - HullMovingAvg()[1];
AddLabel(yes, "X: " + Round(X), Color.YELLOW);

If you still want the bubble, though, you can use the following code.

Changing "OffsetX" will adjust the left-right starting position of the bubble.

"barsOnscreen" should be set to the same number of bars that are currently displayed on your chart. In the photo above, I have 48 bars onscreen. This value is used to dynamically calculate the midpoint between the highest high and lowest low that are currently displayed on screen.

input OffsetX = 8;
input barsOnscreen = 48;

def lastBar = HighestAll(if IsNaN(close) then 0 else BarNumber());
def bubbleBar = BarNumber() == lastBar - OffsetX;
def height = (Highest(high, barsOnscreen) + Lowest(low, barsOnscreen)) / 2;

AddChartBubble(bubbleBar, height, "X: " + Round(GetValue(X, -OffsetX)), Color.YELLOW);

(edited for spelling. I really shouldn't type when I'm sleepy. smiling smiley)

- robert

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2015 01:19PM by robert.
June 07, 2015 08:31AM
Hmmm...something still isn't being seen. I'm only using the one condition of:

declare lower;

def condition4 = if reference Momentum(15) crosses below MomentumSMA(15) then 1 else 0;

plot alert = condition4;

And this is the result. It's plotting (or the alert is true) when the MomentumSMA is crossing below zero and not the SMA. Is there a cache that might need to be cleared or memory dump???

June 07, 2015 09:37AM
Palmer,

ok...ok...I'm finally up to speed. When I originally answered you last night, I thought that the code you presented was only a portion of your larger script and assumed that all the variables had been defined earlier. So, I suggested that you needed to check for momentum crossing below momentumSMA. I didn't realize that you were referencing pre-defined studies. ( I did mention that I didn't have TOS opened at the time, right? grinning smiley )

Anyway, now that I'm following along properly, this is the line that you need.

def Cond4 = MomentumSMA(close, 15, 15).momentum crosses below MomentumSMA(close, 15, 15).avg;

Further explanation.

If you are going to reference a pre-defined study, the first thing you need to do is look at the study itself to see what the inputs and outputs for that study are.

MomentumSMA

#
# TD Ameritrade IP Company, Inc. (c) 2008-2015
#

declare lower;

input price = close;
input momentumLength = 28;
input smaLength = 28;

assert(momentumLength > 0, "'momentum length' must be positive: " + momentumLength);

plot Momentum = price - price[momentumLength];
plot Avg = Average(data = Momentum, length = smaLength);
plot ZeroLine = 0;

Momentum.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(1));
Avg.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(5));
ZeroLine.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(0));

The inputs are, conveniently, labeled "input" and the outputs are labeled "plot."

The format for referencing a pre-defined study is as follows:

StudyName(input variables).OutputName

Inside the parenthesis, you need to supply all of the inputs that the study is asking for. If you leave anything blank, it will use the default values. In the case of "MomentumSMA" that study is looking for three different inputs—price, momentumLength, and smaLength.

The variables inside the parenthesis are assigned in the order listed in the original study.

So...by using " MomentumSMA(15) " the study assigns a value of 15 to "price" because that is the first input listed above, then it assumes a default value of 28 for both "momentumLength" and "smaLength" since no other inputs were provided.

The properly formatted reference call should be " MomentumSMA(close, 15, 15) "

That's just the first part—assigning the inputs. Part two is to ask the study to give you an output by appending the name of the plot that you are interested in at the end. In your case, you are wanting to compare the "Momentum" plot to the "Avg" plot.

So, you need both " MomentumSMA(close, 15, 15).momentum " and " MomentumSMA(close, 15, 15).avg "

Finally, this line compares the two and looks for when the momentum crosses below the average.

def Cond4 = MomentumSMA(close, 15, 15).momentum crosses below MomentumSMA(close, 15, 15).avg;

- robert

June 07, 2015 12:46PM
Robert:

Thank you so much! I wrote my own code for TradeStation2000i back in the day, and currently with StockFetcher, some TOS, and along with some HTML and when I was a younger 'geek' tried to teach my self Assembly language when I was about 13 or 14...never got far with that one. I am slowly getting a handle with ThinkScript but those windows of free time seem to get smaller and smaller these days...especially when the trout, redfish, and blue crab are back on the flats!

You have helped out quite a few folks here. I also am the owner of www.geeklifetoday.com and have a store on Ebay under Geek Life Today. I cut vinyl decals. Take a look at the text phrases that end in 'Geek'...Please note that I am not impying anything here...smoking smiley....but if you happen to be a CodingGeek or ComputerGeek or some other kind of Geek PM that to me along with your address and I'll cut you a few "_____ Geek" decals and get them to you. If you don't see the correct phrase just send that to me and I'll put that together no problem.

The time you put in here to help other people out is awesome!

Thanks again!
June 07, 2015 02:20PM
hey, all:
could someone help me out with the following?

i'd like a custom watchlist column that turns green when:
cci (50) >= 0
AND
slow stochastic (5,1) <= 35 (or a different user-set number)

and turns red when the two green conditions aren't met.

and if there's a way to indicate whether the slo/sto is rising compared to some user set number of days ago or falling, that'd be super sweet. like maybe an up or down arrow could go inside the green box or some such.

i am thanking you in advance!
June 07, 2015 11:14PM
Thank you so much. I checked it out in real time this morning and the box at the top works better because it's in a fixed spot. The bubble changes immediately when I scroll through a watch list but it doesn't update as fast as the box at the top when the chart is in real time.

I was wondering, how do I get the box at the top to appear in a fixed spot on the chart (the lower left (or right) hand corner would work best)?

AddLabel(yes, "X: " + Round(X), Color.YELLOW);

Thanks again.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2015 09:16AM by Ralph53.
June 08, 2015 08:14AM
okay, my tiny brain spent hours on the task and came up with what i think are the appropriate custom-watchlist-column formulas for CCI and SlowSto as defined above. Here's what I came up with:

#CCI 50:

input length = 50;
input over_sold = 0;
input over_bought = 0;

def price = close + low + high;
def linDev = lindev(price, length);

def CCI = if linDev == 0 then 0 else (price - Average(price, length)) / linDev / 0.015;

def overbought = CCI >= 1;

plot scan = overbought;

AssignBackgroundColor (if SCAN >= 1 then color.blue else color.red);

xxxxxxxxxx

#SlowSto 5/1:

# StochSlow
def SlowD = StochasticFull(80, 20, 5, 1, HIGH, LOW, close, 3, "SIMPLE" ).FullK;
def SlowDup = SlowD < 20;
#def SlowDdn = SlowD crosses below 80;

plot scan = SlowDup;

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

assuming these two are correct, then the question becomes, how do you combine them into one as per my original post about this?

if no one else gets to it first -- hint hinty -- i'll try to give it a go ....

oh, one other thing: is there a way to add a custom column to watchlists such that it shows up on all watchlists? right now, i'm having to add the CC to each of my watchlists one by one. kinda tedious.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2015 08:17AM by linter.
June 09, 2015 07:21AM
actually, now that i think of it, i'm no longer want to combine the two into one. it tells me more to see them individually.

but as regards

#SlowSto 5/1:

# StochSlow
def SlowDup = SlowD < 20;

plot scan = SlowDup;

is there a way to configure it so that i get a blue reading if slowd<20 or if slowd has crossed above 20 in the last two days (or a user set number)?

anyone here? robt?
June 10, 2015 03:09AM
linter
is there a way to configure it so that i get a blue reading if slowd<20 or if slowd has crossed above 20 in the last two days (or a user set number)?

Change the value of last_N_days as required.

input last_N_days = 2;

def SlowBelow = SlowD < 20;
def SlowCrosses = SlowD crosses above 20;

plot scan = SlowBelow or Sum(SlowCrosses, last_N_days) >= 1;

AssignBackgroundColor(if scan then Color.BLUE else Color.RED);

- robert

June 10, 2015 03:23AM
Palmer
if you happen to be a CodingGeek or ComputerGeek or some other kind of Geek PM that to me along with your address and I'll cut you a few "_____ Geek" decals and get them to you. If you don't see the correct phrase just send that to me and I'll put that together no problem.

That's pretty nifty. I'm in the process of packing for a move, but will take you up on your kind offer after we've settled in to the new place.

I'm no CodingGeek. I've often thought that I would like to learn C++ or JavaScript but haven't ever picked them up because I have absolutely no idea what I'd do with it. I began learning ThinkScript not too long ago because I wanted an indicator that didn't exist. After getting through the initial learning curve, I've discovered that I enjoy writing these scripts and seem to have a knack for it.

- robert

June 12, 2015 06:21AM
thank you, robert!
Can we make the Script code hidden? eye rolling smiley
June 13, 2015 03:24AM
In other words, is it possible to make a protection of a special indicator ? So any one can use it but no one can see the code ? smoking smiley
Re: Can we make the Script code hidden? eye rolling smiley
June 13, 2015 05:46PM
optiontrader101
is it possible to make a protection of a special indicator ? So any one can use it but no one can see the code ?

Sadly, no. I would have done this long ago if I had been able to.

- robert

June 14, 2015 04:16AM
Thanks Robert,

I think it is not possible for the end users unless if you are on of the TOS crew eye rolling smiley

I contact the support on : thinkScript@thinkorswim.com and waiting for a response .
June 15, 2015 01:41PM
Robert,
I came across your thread when learning about thinkscript. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge and skills. Can you help a noob figure out how to create a new indicator.
I’m right now trying to test if a short term swing trader can gain an edge with a simple combination of momentum indicators. We only need standard RSI and MACD and MACD histogram. I have 6 rules. I want to assign each of them a weighted score and plot the sum of all 6 scores. Then there will only be trade signal when the sum of the scores reaches certain number. I’ve been manually inputting each value in excel and it’s a pain in the ass that’s why I decided to learn Thinkscript. The tricky part is we need to analyze 2 time frames of RSI and MACD but only use 1 time frame on price chart.

Here are the criterions.

A
4hr StochRSI crossover:

If 4 hour RSI is above 40, give a score of 3.
If 4 hour RSI is below 40, give a score of -3.

B
4hr recent MACD trend:

If current candle’s MACD signal value >= previous first candle’s MACD value > previous 2nd candle’s MACD value, assign sore of 1.
If current candle’s MACD signal value <= previous first candle’s MACD value > previous 2nd candle’s MACD value, assign sore of 0.
If current candle’s MACD signal value >= previous first candle’s MACD value < previous 2nd candle’s MACD value, assign sore of 0.
If current candle’s MACD signal value <= previous first candle’s MACD value < previous 2nd candle’s MACD value, assign sore of -1.
If previous first candle’s MACD value = previous 2nd candle’s MACD value, assign sore of 0 no matter what the current candle’s MACD value is.

C
4HR recent MACD divergence
(only go back to previous 25 candles):
There are 3 divergences to consider.

Price vs Signal (PS):
Price makes lower low, MACD signal makes higher low = bullish.
Price makes higher high, MACD signal makes lower high = bearish.
Otherwise flat.

Price vs Histogram (PH):
Price makes lower low, MACD histogram makes higher low = bullish.
Price makes higher high, MACD histogram makes lower high = bearish.
Otherwise flat.

Signal vs Histogram (SH):
MACD signal makes lower low, MACD histogram makes higher low = bullish.
MACD signal makes higher high, MACD histogram makes lower high = bearish.
Otherwise flat.

If 2 or more divergences are bullish, assign score of 1.
If 2 or more divergences are bearish, assign score of -1
If 1 divergence is bullish, the other 2 are flat, assign score of 1.
If 1 divergence is bearish, the other 2 are flat, assign score of -1.
If 1 divergence is bullish, 1 divergence is bearish, 1 divergence is flat, assign score of 1.
If all 3 of the divergences are flat, assign score of 1.

D
Daily stock RSI trend:

If current candle’s %K value >= previous first candle’s %K value > previous 2nd candle’s %K value, assign sore of 1.
If current candle’s %K value <= previous first candle’s %K value > previous 2nd candle’s %K value, assign sore of 0.
If current candle’s %K value >= previous first candle’s %K value < previous 2nd candle’s %K value, assign sore of 0.
If current candle’s %K value <= previous first candle’s %K value < previous 2nd candle’s %K value, assign sore of -1.
If previous first candle’s %K value = previous 2nd candle’s %K value, assign sore of 0 no matter what the current candle’s %K value is.

E
Daily MACD trend
(same rule as rule B but now it’s 24hr per candle and assigned score of 2 or -2):
If current candle’s MACD signal value >= previous first candle’s MACD value > previous 2nd candle’s MACD value, assign sore of 2.
If current candle’s MACD signal value <= previous first candle’s MACD value > previous 2nd candle’s MACD value, assign sore of 0.
If current candle’s MACD signal value >= previous first candle’s MACD value < previous 2nd candle’s MACD value, assign sore of 0.
If current candle’s MACD signal value <= previous first candle’s MACD value < previous 2nd candle’s MACD value, assign sore of -2.
If previous first candle’s MACD value = previous 2nd candle’s MACD value, assign sore of 0 no matter what the current candle’s MACD value is.

F
Daily MACD histogram trend
(Same rule as rule E but for MACD histogram):
If current candle’s MACD histogram value >= previous first candle’s MACD histogram value > previous 2nd candle’s MACD histogram value, assign sore of 2.
If current candle’s MACD histogram value <= previous first candle’s MACD histogram value > previous 2nd candle’s MACD histogram value, assign sore of 0.
If current candle’s MACD histogram value >= previous first candle’s MACD histogram value < previous 2nd candle’s MACD histogram value, assign sore of 0.
If current candle’s MACD histogram value <= previous first candle’s MACD histogram value < previous 2nd candle’s MACD histogram value, assign sore of -2.
If previous first candle’s MACD histogram value = previous 2nd candle’s MACD histogram value, assign sore of 0 no matter what the current candle’s MACD histogram value is.

Output chart
Now we combine Total score of all 6 scores. Totalscore = A+B+C+D+E+F
Output plot of Totalscore underneath of 4hr chart (or any time frame such as 1 hr chart but the weighted scores should be fixed based on criteria of 4hr and daily). The plot should be between -10 and 10.
Now the criteria of a trade is when 4hr RSI crosses above or below 40 and only if Totalscore is 3 or -3.
Buy signal on chart and alert when 4hr RSI crosses above 40 AND the Totalscore is >=3.
Sell signal on chart and alert when 4hr RSI crosses below 40 AND the Totalscore is <=-3.
Create a different signal on chart and alert to notify when to take profit or stop loss: When Totalscore is -2 after buy signal. When Totalscore is 2 after sell signal.

Thank you!
June 16, 2015 07:29PM
Robert I was thinking of buying one of the scripts from your Blog but had a question. I can't see any other way to reach you there or here.

I have a similar script you wrote that I downloaded from here that is very good but I'm thinking the one on your Blog most likely has some differences.

How can I get in touch with you?
Fun with ThinkScript
June 16, 2015 07:54PM
howo3579 ,

My wife and I are in the process of packing the house in preparation for our move, so I don't really have time for any scripting right now. For your script, take a look at the FP/HRFP script on the first page of this thread for an example of combining several conditions into one signal. Take a look at my response to Palmer further up on this page explaining to him how to reference other studies in his script. He was referencing momentum, you want to reference rsi and macd. Take a look a the official thinkorswim tutorial chapter 12 for information on referencing secondary time frames. It sounds like you will need to reference aggregation period 4 hour and daily.

- robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2015 08:05PM by robert.
Fun with ThinkScript
June 16, 2015 07:56PM
raveon
Robert I was thinking of buying one of the scripts from your Blog but had a question. I can't see any other way to reach you there or here.

I have a similar script you wrote that I downloaded from here that is very good but I'm thinking the one on your Blog most likely has some differences.

How can I get in touch with you?

You can send me a PM on this board if you wish.

- robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2015 08:05PM by robert.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login