Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Get Earnings and Seasonal Trends - Subscribe Today!

Advanced

Which Economic reports matter to you & when????

Posted by RichieRick 
Which Economic reports matter to you & when????
September 27, 2022 09:15AM
Hi everyone,

I've often thought about this, but never thought to ask.

As you're all aware there are lots of economic reports that come out each month. Some don't even get a glance from the Markets while a few seem to get all the attention, and the slightest change can send the markets into a sell off or a nice spike.

An obvious one, and recent example is the (CPI) Consumer price index, which is big for watching inflation pressures, also there's (PPI) Producer Price Index focusing on cost of manufactured good. Also Consumer Confidence Index is about to be released this morning.

So what others economic reports are important to you, and how to do you trade around them? If you're in a trade and a report is about to post it's numbers, do you exit the trade and watch for the report, then hop right back in? Or do you stay in your trade and see if there are any surprises.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2022 05:19PM by RichieRick.
Re: Which Economic reports matter to you & when????
September 30, 2022 04:09PM
Wow!!! 50+ views and not 1 comment. Interesting.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2022 07:00PM by RichieRick.
October 15, 2022 11:32AM
Oh, wow wee wow wow!!!! 100+ views and still, not 1 comment.
October 17, 2022 01:28AM
I would say depending on the current economic conditions. Right now anything that could be looked at to determine the next move of the FED. PPI, CPI, Jobless . I would look at trading futures around the relese of those reports.
October 18, 2022 12:08PM
I use PPI, CPI, and FED not when it reports but before. Remember though I am in today and out today and ever so rarely over night. Speculations seem to drive this market IMHO but also my moving averages on my charts. That's where listening to the news helps me. I look for turn arounds. For instance I traded META today...used my marks for gaps, 8 chart to enter and waited to see if the gap from 10/11/22 would hold.

Stock broke through 2 of my down gap lines from that date but not the last one that's when I entered a 132 OCT call for 3.40. Bought 10 contracts sold for 4.20 done for the day. I could see it would go up at least 70 to 80 cents using my moving averages and because I could buy several contracts I knew I would do well.

I use a dash line for my gaps on the 8. I mark the top the bottom and center of these gaps. Green dash line for an up gap and red for a down. I write the date when the gap was made and remove them when the gap is filled.

I listen in the morning (FOX Business) and if the market is acting NUTS I check my charts and moving averages. Haven't done much lately freezing garden vegies and putting up apples.
December 13, 2023 05:41PM
RichieRick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've often thought about this, but never thought
> to ask.
>
> As you're all aware there are lots of economic
> reports that come out each month. Some don't even
> get a glance from the Markets while a few seem to
> get all the attention, and the slightest change
> can send the markets into a sell off or a nice
> spike.
>
> An obvious one, and recent example is the (CPI)
> Consumer price index, which is big for watching
> inflation pressures, also zumba online there's (PPI) Producer
> Price Index focusing on cost of manufactured good.
> Also Consumer Confidence Index is about to be
> released this morning.
>
> So what others economic reports are important to
> you, and how to do you trade around them? If
> you're in a trade and Viberate a report is about to post
> it's numbers, do you exit the trade and watch for
> the report, then hop right back in? Or do you
> stay in your trade and see if there are any
> surprises.

Economic reports play a crucial role in financial markets, influencing investor sentiment and market movements. The significance of specific economic reports can vary based on the prevailing economic conditions, market expectations, and central bank policies. Here are some key economic reports and their general importance:

1. Nonfarm Payrolls (NFP):
- When: Released on the first Friday of each month.
- Importance: NFP data provides insights into the labor market's health, influencing expectations about economic growth and potential monetary policy changes by central banks.

2. Gross Domestic Product (GDP):
- When: Quarterly releases.
- Importance: GDP measures the economic output of a country. A strong GDP growth rate is generally positive for the currency and equities, while a decline may have the opposite effect.

3. Consumer Price Index (CPI) and Producer Price Index (PPI):
- When: Monthly releases.
- Importance: CPI measures inflation from a consumer perspective, while PPI gauges inflation at the producer level. Central banks often use these indicators to make decisions on interest rates.

4. Central Bank Rate Decisions:
- When: Determined by each central bank, usually on a monthly or quarterly basis.
- Importance: Changes in interest rates impact borrowing costs, spending, and investment. Traders closely watch central bank statements for guidance on future policy direction.

5. Unemployment Rate:
- Importance: The unemployment rate reflects the percentage of the workforce that is unemployed. A lower unemployment rate is generally positive for the economy.

6. Retail Sales:
- Importance: Retail sales data provides insights into consumer spending patterns, a crucial component of economic activity.

7. Durable Goods Orders:
- Importance: Durable goods orders reflect consumers and businesses' confidence. Strong demand for durable goods may signal economic expansion.

8. Trade Balance:
- Importance: The trade balance shows the difference between a country's exports and imports. A trade surplus is generally positive for the currency.

It's crucial to stay informed about the economic calendar and market expectations. Traders and investors often use these reports to make informed decisions, manage risk, and identify potential trading opportunities.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login