Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Get Earnings and Seasonal Trends - Subscribe Today!

Advanced

TradeStation Radar 0,1,2,3

Posted by Chunk 
TradeStation Radar 0,1,2,3
May 29, 2014 08:19PM
T.S. Users:

Here's my "glancing at the pitches" scanner, so far.

Four columns with the ability to change the interval (right click Format All symbols).

Notice: the alerts are either a 0,1,2,3 which means how many candles ago the cross occurred for indicator in the column. At the close on 5/29, CELG 233 is basically a HRFP down because on the Radar numbers (0,2,0,1) of 4 indicator columns are in red; thus refer to the chart at the right.

Another example, ESS is a FP since it has green 0,1,0. (zero or one basically means crossing now per interval candle)

Criteria for this is set up through Easy Language.

--- Chunk

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2014 09:33PM by Chunk.
Re: TradeStation Radar 0,1,2,3
May 30, 2014 06:48PM
thumbs up Love it. I am going down a similar path but first wanted a chart indicator that flags via vertical line that I was finally able to finish. Next will be adding to RS with a "bars ago" indication. Nice Job!
May 31, 2014 05:04PM
NC Trader:

So, are you saying that you finished making the language for a straight line indicator?? I would be interested in the Easy Language, although that will create a lot of vertical lines overtime on all charts unless they fade away.

Today, I was looking at TradeStation's Scanner and watched the instructional video; that's one powerful tool. I began creating a Scan with the four indicators to look at a whole universe of stocks; it had some bugs and I think I like my Radar.

Keep me updated on your line indicator. Thanks.

Chunk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2014 05:18PM by Chunk.
June 02, 2014 08:54PM
Oh my!! Yes, it is possible to write an indicator to show vertical line that corresponds with your RadarScreen trigger. Originally it provided way too many lines on a chart as you described but I found some code yesterday where you can reference trend lines and remove them at will. It should be possible to see the last "X" number of signals on a chart based on user preference. That is the easy part. What has had me perplexed for the past few days is that I refused to call Tech Support to see why RS did not match my chart. My code was spot on about 98% to 99% of the time but every so often RS gave me a signal that simply was not true. My logic was sound but kept rewriting to see if there was some nuance I was overlooking between an Indicator and Show Me. I was loading double the bars needed to calculate but it still would not work. I finally listened to the forum and loaded an additional 200+ bars at which point my aberrant signals went away in RS. I am sure you probably know what I am talking about. It was a definitely learning experience. I still do not think anyone has fully explained why 50 did not smooth out the rough edges but RS is now working and it was a learning experience.

Now that I finally made it over the hurdle I want to make a few tweaks and focus on getting R/S the way I want it. Once complete I will readdress the charting component to see how easy it will be add the segment to manage the number of vertical lines. EL really isn't that bad for what I need to do but the little things like adding a few hundred additional bars when I only need a maximum of 42 based on my code slows things down. Current code set to remove signal after 2 bars.

June 03, 2014 05:14AM
NC Trader:

You're an amazing "pioneer engineer". I think I did notice your name on the TS forum a while ago.

Let me know if you need some of EL codes from my work, although I think they're on the T.S. forum.

Are you distinguishing between FP and HRFP?

I will stand by for your progress. Thanks for sharing.

I recommend this gentleman below, he helped me out by phone.

Doug McCrary
EasyLanguage Engineer

EasyLanguage Consulting Department, TradeStation Securities
DMcCrary@TradeStation.com (800) 822-0512

TradeStation rocks Doesn't it?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2014 05:37AM by Chunk.
June 03, 2014 08:32AM
Thanks Chunk! I see Doug post almost daily. Sometimes I think that is all he has time to do given all of the questions submitted. BTW I think have seen some of your code for each indicator. What I liked is the variations in how each was accomplished so it shows different ways to achieve the same goal. Mine is slightly different but accomplished the goal during testing. Now that I have resolved the aberrant signals I will be rewriting some parts so that I have flexibility down the road if I decide to update. I will also remove the "Up" and "Down" message. I was playing around to see what is possible. The message adds no real value other than taking up screen real estate. All I need in a small box, green or red, and the number of bars back the signal occurred (user defined range which I have set up as an input).

As for distinguishing FP vs. HRFP no, there are no distinctions at this point. It would not be hard to do as I leveraged Robert's TOS logic to sum the counts. That said my code also takes into account some aspects of DE and SLI. Some of the customization will be removed when I distribute as I am still under NDA for those pieces. All of that said the signal only tells me it is now time to look at all of my charts to see if I actually have a trade. Unfortunately RadarScreen is a bit limited with what you can do across timeframes. I am okay with that as I still like having my hands in the charts and making the final decision. My personal goal was not to fully automate the decision making process. I was simply looking for a way to point me in the right direction and not overlook something I could easily see if my schedule would allow.

I will keep you posted and post the final product. After that my real interest is testing a replay feature someone posted a few years ago. I have not tested but if the code works then you can leverage global tracking to go back in time and run the charts forward at a predefined pace. Each larger timeframe will advance when appropriate. That is one thing TOS has that I wish TS had out of the box.

NCT
June 03, 2014 06:08PM
Hi NCt

You mentioned that RadarScreen is a bit limited with what you can do across timeframes. "Across" yes; I just glance at Radar and the interval can only be changed with right click format symbol. Maybe there's a way around it for your indicator...

I just use my Radar (as in my photo above) by looking for red/green 0's and 1's. Sometimes 2's. I deleted/formatted out the 3's to an input of 2.

Are you referring to replay feature for purpose of practicing trades?
June 03, 2014 09:16PM
That was easy the finger smiley

Final updates for what I wanted to accomplish almost complete. Setting up the chart to only show the last three signals was relatively painless and took about 5 minutes. Rewrote the code to make it easier to maintain going forward. As for multiple timeframes in RS below is a sample of "snaking" that any of their engineers will suggest (Weekly, Daily, and 233 side-by-side). Obviously last X is based on the defined chart timeframe. This is harder to maintain unless you have a fixed quote sheet. I move things in and out of watch lists so it would not work for me but it is an option for some. Option two would be to set up multiple RS windows with each tracking a different time.

Chart showing vertical signal below as well. Line type, color, thickness, and transparency are all user defined. Increased thickness so that you can see. I had mine set up to where I could barely see. When a new signal is created the oldest one is removed. As I said it doesn't do a lot for me. I was playing around to see what is possible. I am more interested in RS telling me I need to look. At that point it is about knowing whether or not an actual trade exists.

June 03, 2014 10:21PM
Last but certainly not least is the most important feature I wanted. Chart replay for practice. Not quite as easy as TOS but I never could figure out how to get TOS to replay more than a current day. Seemed to be good for intraday short chart traders. The solution for TS was built by someone in 2012 that trades futures. One person appeared to have a problem getting it to work with equities. I personally did not. Just finished testing a 233 master with daily and weekly as slaves. Went through two weeks candle by candle on 233. Each new candle advanced on daily and weekly when appropriate. There is a slider at the bottom of the 233 that you can speed up or slow down the advance (1 to 10 second delay). Screen shot below. If interested let me know and I will PM the ELD. Sorry picture is cutoff but the charts do line up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login