Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Get Earnings and Seasonal Trends - Subscribe Today!

Advanced

Something that isn't mentioned much

Posted by Darcy2 
Something that isn't mentioned much
August 19, 2013 01:05PM
but it is something I do at least 3 x's per day.

I look at my futures charts. Today thus far I didn't see much I have liked when looking at these charts. I like room between my moving averages for my index thus my stock to move.

S&P has a death cross on the 55 and Nasdaq is stuck between the 50 and 200 moving average. August is the 3rd worst month for the market. I believe it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2013 02:04PM by Darcy2.
Dan
Re: Something that isn't mentioned much
August 19, 2013 06:52PM
I am interested in why people look at the futures during the day. Once the market opens, the futures vary by very little if any from their corresponding indexes and ETFs. For example, a 10 minute chart of the S&P e-minis, the S&P index, and SPY ETF are nearly identical during regular market hours. The futures give no advance warning on moves, unless perhaps your are using tick charts.

I wholeheartedly agree that looking at the S&P and NASDAQ mini futures for all hours is quite useful to get of sense of where things are headed for the day and to see how Europe is looking by checking the S&P e-minis when trading in Germany starts. I also like to see all hours trading with the pivot levels drawn as a way to gauge how price is reacting to these levels over the entire trading session. BTW, QCharts pivot levels for all sessions on futures is incorrect; don't use it. I do not, however, see much value to checking intraday futures charts during regular trading hours as a way to get an advance warning of what the market is going to do, since they do not provide such information, I am very interested in contrary opinions, since the one thing I know about trading, is how much I don't know about trading smiling smiley
August 19, 2013 07:34PM
For me watching the futures especially before the open and when China closes, at Europe's close and after we close here in the US. I do glance something on my charts just hits me wrong,

When the market changes over such as from one zone to the next I see it first in my futures as a rule.

I do watch my futures mainly because that is how I was taught by GW and since he has been successful I figured that was good enough for me too.

I do not use pivots, or Fibonacci. I have on occasion used my retracement tool for some trades when my stock looks like it is going sideways but that is seldom. I use gaps and moving averages which for me has been the best method. We all need to find what clicks for us I think and then apply that sucker!grinning smiley

I still like looking at my futures.
August 19, 2013 09:16PM
Hey Darcy,

Since you brought up the futures charts I had a question for ya. Not so much about futures but indexes. I'm currently comparing stocks to their respective index i.e. GG with $XAU. Do you know of any sites that have this information? I'm stuck right now on stocks like CRR, CLB, SLB and finding their respective index being Energy more specifically equipment and services. If you have any thoughts on this it would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has anything that would be great! Thanks the finger smiley (Rock On)
August 20, 2013 08:30AM
[www.nasdaq.com]

[www.sec.gov]

I also go to Yahoo finance.This is where I go for more info

[finance.yahoo.com]

and type in the symbol of the stock you want to know more about such as oh let's say AMZN
scroll down to "Profile" and you get this...

Details

Index Membership: Nasdaq 100
AMEX Internet
Sector: Services
Industry: Catalog & Mail Order Houses
Full Time Employees: 88,400

Click on Services and you get...well you'll see.

Click Nasdaq 100 you get more info and click AMEX Internet and there's "stuff" there.

BTW glad you clarified your smiley I thought you were giving me something else...confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2013 09:07AM by Darcy2.
August 20, 2013 01:20PM
Hahaha, Thanks for the info. I'm going to work that stuff tonight!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login