Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Get Earnings and Seasonal Trends - Subscribe Today!

Advanced

Practice Trading -- AKA Thank You, Darcy

Posted by robert 
Practice Trading -- AKA Thank You, Darcy
January 26, 2014 11:33AM
Darcy, I want you to know that I really appreciate that you post your winning trades. I have been going back through some of your old trades and practicing them.

ThinkOrSwim has an "on demand" feature which lets you pick a date in the past and replay the market for that day as if you were watching it live. It'll draw the charts tick by tick and even includes option prices. This is such a great feature for practice trading.

I like to look up your old trades with just the barest information. For instance, this morning I started by knowing that you made a successful BIIB trade on 12 June 2013. I didn't look to see whether you purchased puts or calls---just that you traded on that day.

I then started watching that day from just before market open and analyzed my indicators to decide when and how I would trade that stock. At about 10:05 I decided to purchase PUTS. I bought the Jun 215 puts for $4.70. I watched the stock for about the next half hour and sold out at $6.20.

Here was the really fun part for me: after I had sold my position, I went back to see what you had done that day. You said that you bought the Jun 215 contracts for $4.60 at 10:06 and sold them for $6.80 at 10:48. Holy cow!! I traded almost the exact same as you. I got in at essentially the very same spot; but didn't hold as long as you did because when I see $1000 sitting on the table, I grab it and run.

Your posts have really helped me to fine tune my trading technique.

Thank you.
Re: Practice Trading -- AKA Thank You, Darcy
January 26, 2014 11:51AM
I agree Robert. With the On Demand feature you don't even need to practice for 1 full year, because you can replay the days much faster especially if you are a big chart trader.

I have found that practice is what allows me to develop discipline.

Fyi, I am not an "expert" student and still struggling so please take my two cents for what it's worth. I have been doing this for approximately 3 years now.
Re: Practice Trading -- AKA Thank You, Darcy
January 28, 2014 02:39PM
robert,

You are welcome! grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login