Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Get Earnings and Seasonal Trends - Subscribe Today!

Advanced

Candlesticks on or off ???

Posted by RichieRick 
Candlesticks on or off ???
November 19, 2013 10:44AM
As you all know you "CAN'T" just turn off the candlesticks. At least not that I have found, but you can make them the same color as your background. Here is a screen shot of my current TOS screen with the candlesticks matching the background color. Which in essence turns them off :-)
You could also change the price graph to "LINE" and make that the same color as the background as well.

I'd like to open a small discussion on this topic to hear everyones opinion. If this has been done already, my apologies :-)
Re: Candlesticks on or off ???
November 19, 2013 10:49AM
Since I weigh gaps in alot of my trading I need my candles. I however seldom buthave on occasion used them to predict a positioning of a stock. My other indicators generally give me that info much asier. For some the candles might get in the way. I also like using a line chart to look for suport and resistance. The line chart has really been helpful in finding triple bottoms and triple tops.

I say use whatever one needs to trade well. If it is candles use them, line chart use it, bar chart use it, point and figure use it, or none do that. I try not to knock what may wotk for one person but not for me. That is what makes us different. Just my opinion.
NMR
December 07, 2013 05:16PM
Are you sure you cant turn off your candles- I can do that in TOS very easily:

Style> Chart Type> Line

Does this work in your TOS setup?
December 07, 2013 09:25PM
Sure I can do that. What I meant was there is no way to "disable" them in TOS. I can however change the colors of the candles to match the background, which is pretty much the same thing. As I said, you can't "turn off" the candles. You just end up changing them to something else or some other color.

No a problem now, I just changed the colors to make the candles very faint in appearance. They are still there, you just have to really look at them to see them. That way the candles don't get in the way, but they are still there is I want to focus on them to determine if there is a gap, or if it is a white or red candle.
Dan
December 08, 2013 07:45PM
Kind of difficult assessing support/resistance/trend lines without candles. I like looking at candle patterns around support/resistance for breakout/breakdown/test/retrace. That being said, for those who watch their charts in real time, there is an awful lot of emotion wrapped up in watching a candle "paint" and seeing it go first one way and then another. Such emotion can cause one to leave a trade too early or stay too long, IMHO.
December 09, 2013 09:04AM
Turn the candles off then draw lines where the indicators turned.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login