Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Get Earnings and Seasonal Trends - Subscribe Today!

Advanced

Think Or Swim GW Chart Settings

Posted by robert 
Re: Think Or Swim GW Chart Settings
August 08, 2020 12:33PM
That's odd. I get wildly different results from these MACD settings in TOS versus Alchem. I've tried fiddling with exponential settings on and off and various types of MACD calculations in TOS including the ones you listed. All to no avail.

Can you confirm that you are, in fact, getting identical results in the MACD? Compare the daily MACD numbers for any given stock, for starters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2020 10:59AM by HouseOfFabu.
September 12, 2020 03:08PM
Hello Robert,

This thread helped me with transitioning from QCharts to T/S platform. I am a grad of WSB, and am just switching over to T/S. One main question remaining - Can you tell me if you use Simple, Exponential, Wilders or Hull for average type on the RSI, MACD, and DMI?

Kevin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2020 03:41PM by KevinB.
TCB
September 12, 2020 06:58PM
Hi, Kevin

The MACD = Exponential, RSI = Wilders, DMI = Wilders.
September 12, 2020 09:27PM
Are we sure on using Wilders for the RSI????

I had been using simple for a long spell now. I just went and checked. smiling smiley

When I compare TOS with Alchem charts, the only way it will match is if I use Simple for the RSI. Using Wilders causes the two charting packages to not match up anymore.

Also I want to note that Alchem charts is THE recommended charting app that Gary recommends everyone to use. Since there is no way to modify RSI in Alchem charts I can only "assume" it is set the way Gary would want it to be in order to match what he has in Qcharts.

Maybe someone with Qcharts can verify if these indicators match perfectly with Alchem charts. I'm only assuming that they do match.

This image is from Alchem showing TSLA using simple.

This is from TOS showing TSLA using Wilders

Notice the difference in the RSI lines. The RSI is the red/green lines directly underneath the candlestick chart box area. When the RSI in TOS is switched to 'simple' it will then match what you see in Alchem charts.

R

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2020 11:02PM by RichieRick.
September 13, 2020 10:53AM
I do appreciate the input. I will transition to Alchem if I cannot replicate Gary's settings in TOS, but it does seem to me there are those out there using TOS successfully. The average type really does seem to matter and so further insight is appreciated particularly with RSI.

Kevin
September 14, 2020 07:43AM
Yes TOS works perfectly. I'm using TOS, but I have access to Alchem I use it to ensure that what I have in TOS matches Alchem. The assumption is Alchem is setup to match Qcharts, and I believe it is. Right now Gary still uses Qcharts but has stated numerous times that when Qcharts finally gets shut down he will switch to Alchem. I've never heard him mention TOS or Tradestation. I'm guessing he's aware of them, but feels no need to discuss them since it's not his preferred platform.

Having said all that, the only way I can get the RSI to match Alchem Charts is to use "simple". As you can see in the pics I posted using "Wilders" changes the indicators appearance a bit.

Also I've noticed that Alchem Charts has price data issues from time to time. Each time I find a price data difference in the charts and I compare it to TOS, TOS is the winner. I think the TOS price data is more accurate. Price data errors can and will affect the charts and the indicators.
September 14, 2020 08:32AM
Hi,
I've been following this topic for a while and I'm still wrestling with charting platforms and cost thereof.
I took WSB and RTP classes years ago in Raleigh - and am kind of amazed that Gary is still using QCharts. I thought he was 100% behind Alchem.
Just curious, after all the problems QCharts had, has he given any specific reasons why he's still on QCharts all these years later and why he hasn't switched to Alchem?
Thanks,
Bill
September 14, 2020 10:40AM
R
Thanks,
For MACD and DMI, what are you using for these, and are you in agreement with TCB on those two?

Kevin
September 14, 2020 10:46AM
That's easy to answer. smiling smiley

First, he's not a computer guy. smiling smiley

He is 100% behind everyone switching over to Alchem charts. Alchem charts is built on a platform called Quant Share. Quant Share is the base program from which Alchem charts are built on. If you had an account and the knowledge you could duplicate Alchem charts on Quant Share exactly, but you better know what you're doing there, as Quant Share is less user friendly than Trade station or TOS.. smiling smiley

Gary stays on Qcharts because he's comfortable with it mostly. He has said many times that if/when Qcharts are ever shut down for good he will move to Alchem charts. He spends a little time using Alchem charts just so he can be familiar with how it works/looks for students, and to also be ready to move to it if Qcharts ever shuts down. Since Alchem Charts is it's own company he doesn't have total control of the platform. He's mentioned in the past that there are some things he doesn't love about Alchem Charts, even though it recommends it to all his students. I'm sure there's lots of things he doesn't like about Qcharts either, but still he wanted everyone to use that before Alchem Charts came along. smiling smiley

R
September 14, 2020 10:48AM
KevinB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> R
> Thanks,
> For MACD and DMI, what are you using for these,
> and are you in agreement with TCB on those two?
>
> Kevin

Yes, those two are good to go with what TCB mentioned.
September 14, 2020 10:51AM
OK Thank you both.

Kevin
February 03, 2021 09:42PM
Hey, everyone. It's been a while since I've posted. Just wanted to give a quick update to this thread. The first post is very out of date now. It was originally meant for those who had taken Gary's 1-5 class because that manual had his indicator settings included. Well, that's no longer the case. Hence this update.

Below is a link to my basic WSB workspace. It includes only the indicators that are included with Thinkorswim. Each has been setup with the appropriate settings. If you would like to add the yellow auto-wave line, that is available for purchase from my website. It is a separate purchase because I had to program that one myself.

In the top, right corner of TOS click on "Setup" --> "Open shared item...", then copy and paste the following link into the pop-up dialog that opens.

[tos.mx]

- robert

Professional ThinkorSwim indicators for the average Joe
March 18, 2022 01:54PM
GW's new 233 only method is killing me. It is the only thing I can't get quite right. If I set up a 233 chart it gives me a 9:30 and 1:23, but as he uses it, he has a 1:23 and 4:00 candle. This way you can make your decisions in the afternoon and not at market open. I have TOS and TradingView, I prefer TradingView as it is not delayed information and visually easier on the eyes.

If anyone knows how to set this up on either platform, possibly using candle math or some other method, I would be forever grateful!

Thanks and happy trading!
March 19, 2022 02:38PM
I think GW is still using Qcharts right? I don't recall their being a 4pm candle, just a 9:30, and 1:23pm candle.

Also TOS is not delayed if you fund it. You only need to fund it with 50 bucks or something to get the real time stuff flowing. Seems like I even heard of someone doing it with 20 bucks. And you never have to trade in that account. Just set it up and fund it with a few bucks and get all the real time data.

The 9:30 candle starts at 9:30 and closes at 1:23. That's when you check it. Also the 1:23 candle starts at 1:23 and closes at 4pm. You're looking at the candles when they close, not when they open.

Hope that helps a bit. smiling smiley
R
March 26, 2022 09:42AM
Gary uses Alchem charts now. Alchem is is much better than Qcharts.
March 26, 2022 10:00AM
Gary teaches from Alchemcharts but still has Qcharts and has said that he will have it till it goes away. Alchemcharts was developed by one of his students and Gary funded the start up because of issues with Qcharts. However Gary is still in the hunt and will not teach anything new until it is proven. He has a group of students doing a trial and he posts their results on his Facebook page but has not revealed the process.
March 26, 2022 06:26PM
ncptech Wrote:
> Gary uses Alchem charts now. Alchem is is much
> better than Qcharts.

Yes, Alchem Charts have been better than Qcharts from the beginning, but GW kept saying he was gonna stay on Qcharts until it quits. lol.

R

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2022 06:27PM by RichieRick.
March 26, 2022 06:32PM
Is the Alchem Charts site down or is it just me?
EDIT: seems to be back up now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2022 08:26PM by billbled.
March 29, 2022 06:37AM
Game0ver Wrote:
> Gary teaches from Alchemcharts but still has
> Qcharts and has said that he will have it till it
> goes away. Alchemcharts was developed by one of
> his students and Gary funded the start up because
> of issues with Qcharts. However Gary is still in
> the hunt and will not teach anything new until it
> is proven. He has a group of students doing a
> trial and he posts their results on his Facebook
> page but has not revealed the process.

Can you please share the name of the Facebook group?
March 29, 2022 07:50PM
It's a private group. You have to send a friend request to Gary telling him you are a student and request access to the private FB group.
March 30, 2022 11:17AM
ncptech Wrote:
> It's a private group. You have to send a friend
> request to Gary telling him you are a student and
> request access to the private FB group.

I searched and searched but couldnt find it. Can you please confirm the group name?
April 02, 2022 10:50AM
ncptech Wrote:
> It's a private group. You have to send a friend
> request access to the private FB group.

flsupraguy Wrote:
I searched and searched but couldn't find it. Can you please confirm the group name?
;;;;;;;;;;;;;
Just like ncptech said ....If you are a recent student of the new studies you just You have to send a friend
> request access to the private FB group. He will verify and allow access
April 02, 2022 04:32PM
Game0ver Wrote:
> ncptech Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It's a private group. You have to send a friend
> > request to Gary telling him you are a student
> and
> > request access to the private FB group.
>
> flsupraguy Wrote:
> I searched and searched but couldn't find it. Can
> you please confirm the group name?
> ;;;;;;;;;;;;;
> Just like ncptech said ....If you are a recent
> student of the new studies you just You have to
> send a friend
> > request to Gary telling him you are a student
> and
> > request access to the private FB group. He will
> verify and allow access

I'm a former WSB student from 10+ years ago. I searched "Gary Williams" but being a common name recieved hundreds of results.....
April 04, 2022 03:57PM
To be included in this group you must be a student of the new classes
so to be included you must take, at least the new Module 1, which is now online
April 04, 2022 04:31PM
Hopefully, prayerfully......

The new online format of the "Modules" will be more focused.
Maybe it will be much more concise and to the point without all the wasting time telling long-winded stories about things that have nothing to do with trading, just to make a 10 second point about something he mentioned 25 minutes earlier. I think if I have to hear one more story about TFT, or some "assumed" former navy seal and how god-like they are I'm gonna vomit.
April 04, 2022 05:37PM
So do you email him or Brandi to get into the new Module 1 class?
Or has he got a site now?
Has he got any pre-signup info, new class descriptions, etc?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2022 05:38PM by billbled.
April 04, 2022 08:55PM
You will need to email Brandi but there are no scheduled M1 classes right now
brandi@getmarketskills.com .... to see if there is a pre-signup
I here RR loud and clear we were in class together ....lol
these classes are better and cheaper and now that Micheal is involved, the manual is so much better
April 05, 2022 04:31AM
OK thanks much for the info.

I too was a WSB student from the early/mid 2000's era in the Triangle NC area.
I used to work for QCharts (Interactive Data) to provide tech support to Gary's students on the QCharts platform.
December 08, 2023 05:14PM
Has anyone taken the new classes are they worth it?

I wish you did not have to takes all 3 modules first. I am already advanced.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login