Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Get Earnings and Seasonal Trends - Subscribe Today!

Advanced

Think Or Swim GW Chart Settings

Posted by robert 
Think Or Swim GW Chart Settings
July 13, 2013 08:16PM
<<original post deleted due to being obsolete. update follows.>>

Below is a link to my basic WSB workspace. It includes only the indicators that are included with Thinkorswim. Each has been setup with the appropriate settings. If you would like to add the yellow auto-wave line, that is available for purchase from my website. It is a separate purchase because I had to program that one myself.

In the top, right corner of TOS click on "Setup" --> "Open shared item...", then copy and paste the following link into the pop-up dialog that opens.

[tos.mx]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2021 09:47PM by robert.
Re: Think Or Swim GW Chart Settings
July 14, 2013 02:23PM
Robert,
This was just what I needed. Thanks a ton!!!
July 14, 2013 02:44PM
rebwayne
Robert,
This was just what I needed. Thanks a ton!!!

Good luck with your trading.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2018 06:57PM by rttforumadmin.
July 14, 2013 06:42PM
Setting Custom Time Periods

For 233 chart, use Style > Intraday > 180 Days > Custom...
For 55, 34, 21, 13, and 8 charts, use Style > Intraday > 20 Days > Custom...

When entering times in the custom field, you may use the slider; but it's much easier to just type the desired time in the Time Aggregation Period block.

Tip: type 0353 (3 hours 53 minutes) for a 233 chart.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2018 06:58PM by rttforumadmin.
July 14, 2013 08:45PM
Once again, great info! Thanks!!!
June 27, 2014 11:35PM
What does this indicator look for please , am new to it . Thanks in adavnce
June 28, 2014 12:25AM
Ethan14
What does this indicator look for please , am new to it . Thanks in adavnce

This particular thread was started in order to aid indifiduals who have attended Gary Williams' classes setup his indicators on the thinkorswim platform.
July 18, 2014 11:44AM
Is he still using QCharts - or has he migrated to another platform?
Is he changing over to TorS?
thx,
FrankieD
July 18, 2014 06:55PM
GW still using Qcharts but will be migrating to Alchemcharts when available. You can search Alchemcharts in this forum for details or Google their website. This thread intended to help those that use TOS and do not want to pay for QC.
July 19, 2014 06:13AM
OK - thanks for the info.
NMR
July 22, 2014 09:23AM
If anyone wants a comparison QCHARTS chart vs TOS please let me know. I am running both. E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2014 03:12PM by NMR.
September 24, 2014 08:00PM
Robert you're a lifesaver. Thank you for posting this. Such a big help. Saved me a couple days of time...sincere thanks!
May 09, 2016 08:07PM
Hello,

Anyone know of a way to go back and recreate trading days on tos? Like a simulation of a past day, such as April 14, 2016?

I'm a gw wsb 1-5 student and am taking the Survivor Weekend 1 in June.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.
May 10, 2016 06:45AM
rsxcited Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello,
>
> Anyone know of a way to go back and recreate
> trading days on tos? Like a simulation of a past
> day, such as April 14, 2016?
>
> I'm a gw wsb 1-5 student and am taking the
> Survivor Weekend 1 in June.
>
> Any help would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks.

Hi rsxcited,

Welcome to the forums.

TOS can be setup to be exactly like Qcharts. The only indicator (or tool) that doesn't seem to be working exactly as it does in Qcharts is the "Autowave", but that isn't really a big deal at all. It's a sorta "nice to know" thing.

To answer your question, YES! TOS has an "OnDemand" feature that allows you to play back charts. It's sorta like going back in time and watching a trade as it unfolds. The same way you would have seen it, if you were looking at it at the time it happened.

It really is a cool feature, and one that new students should use ALOT!!!....

Download it and play around with it. It's free, so what can it hurt. smiling smiley

R
August 07, 2017 12:50PM
Trying to move to TOS from Alchem/Qcharts and im having some trouble with the StochRSI. Any advice on what setting I have wrong? I tried following Roberts list above but apparently something is off.

Any help would be appreciated

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2018 07:01PM by rttforumadmin.
August 07, 2017 12:59PM
Redwolf,

It looks like you have accidentally moved the StochRSI indicator to the Volume section when you were dragging to reposition things.

First, turn off volume. Press [ CTRL ]+[ S ] to access the chart settings panel. Then, click on the "Equities" tab and uncheck "Show volume subgraph."

Once you've done that, you will probably find StochRSI overlayed onto MACD, so it will need to be repositioned again. At that point, it may be easier to just remove that indicator then add it back in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2017 02:06PM by robert.
August 07, 2017 02:02PM
That did the trick, thanks Robert
February 07, 2018 12:04PM
Robert or anyone willing to help....

First, thank you very much for the informative post above.
I just started with TOS this week and find it to be a very capable system.
I used qcharts for several years back in 01-05, don't miss paying $200 each month thumbs up
I used your settings above (thanks) but there are a LOT of settings on each study that I am not sure how to setup.
Is there anyway you could please give me a little more guidance on each study setting?
I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Scottie
February 07, 2018 03:10PM
It's funny you posted here concerning TOS and chart settings.

I was looking at something today and noticed something messed up.

RSI

Look at symbol UDOW on Qcharts, then look at it in TOS.

Look from March 29, 2017 through June 25 2017. When you compare it to the StochRSI in TOS they don't match up. VERY VERY strange.

Can anyone explain why, or better yet tell me how to correct it so TOS mirrors Qcharts???
February 12, 2018 01:02PM
this might be a dumb question but i am new to tos and in your pic i only see the # signs ? Do you have the setting for everything especially the christmas cross, rsi, and macd ? Thank you .
February 12, 2018 02:54PM
That is by design.

Gary Williams students know the settings and they've been sworn to secrecy under an Non-Disclosure agreement. Although many on here may be long past any NDA they still feel somewhat committed to not sharing that info if you're not a GW student.
February 12, 2018 04:11PM
will he be doing more classes in the near future ? im hearing he stopped ??
February 12, 2018 04:14PM
i have the chart parameters from class 2 do they hold true to the think or swim platform??
February 13, 2018 02:14PM
No he is still going. Not sure what you mean by "do they hold true"?
February 13, 2018 07:56PM
the same settings i received in class 2 are the same settings in think or swim ? Or do they have to be modified?
February 14, 2018 09:17PM
Oh I see.

No they are the same settings. For the offset though you will need to us a negative number though, because a positive number will move it backwards instead of forward. That's pertaining to the CC lines though.
February 16, 2018 12:53PM
It would appear that I like to say "though" a lot for some reason. lol..... smiling smiley
Thinkorswim CC settings
February 20, 2018 12:27PM
I am having a difficult time setting up some of the parameters on the charts, think or swim is a little different . Can someone PM me for a little guidance . Thanks
bt
March 24, 2018 06:27PM
I wonder if you could help me with what seems to me to be a simple problem. I am trying to have the implied volatility from one candle back (not the current reading).

I can get the the current number by simply typing in the custom codes: reference ImpVolatility().

Any suggestions to grab the number from the previous candlestick?

Thanks so much for your expertise.
July 24, 2020 11:37AM
robert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This should help some of you who are coming from
> QCharts.
>
> [i.imgur.com]

Hello,

Is this topic still open for discussion? I'm trying to set up TOS in place of Alchem and I'm having a difficult time replicating Alchem on TOS. Does anyone have a workspace they can share or the correct values to enter into TOS? GW says that Alchem is the only way, but I don't want to have to pay $200 a month for Alchem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Ben
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login